1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you talk about?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Locked, Jun 12, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Generally speaking, I agree. In this specific example, though, I doubt that would have to be a consideration. Doc's a good guy, and after a victory like that I'm sure he'd elaborate on damn near anything he's asked.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Exactly -- on both posts.

I do love the example in the first post when someone just makes a statement. I've seen that happen plenty of times and it's a joke. The Patriots started this dumb thing when they were winning, always saying that they had to eat "humble pie" from Belichick on Monday after wins. This was about the greatest thing the TV guys ever heard and at least once in a press conference one of them would work it into a "question" or just something like "Bill's gonna have you eating some humble pie tomorrow." WTF?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Obviously, you've never covered Bob Knight.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Or Mike Shanahan. Or Andy Reid...

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That is not an order. You just asked a question. There's a difference. Apparently, you don't notice it.

That would be true ... if it didn't take all of three seconds to rearrange the words you're asking into a question. Plus, you mean to tell me that in the two to four minutes you're waiting while the coach/player asks another question, you can't spend the few seconds to do this in your head?

It's not like you're writing the story on the spot here, folks. You're taking tenths of a second to add "Can you" in front of what you're saying. There's no deadline pressure involved in that small bit of time.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

You are obviously one tough-ass mother. We all can learn a thing or two from you about how to go about our jobs. For instance, I kind of thought it was my job, in most situations, to elict information from the coach, not to provoke him into some sort of response that would call attention to me. Clearly, I've been so wrong about this. Thank God I have your postings to guide me, henceforth.

Oh, and by the way, dude -- Kobe and the Lakers got their asses kicked in the third quarter last night. That's why you'd want to word the question carefully -- not to protect his ego, but to ensure you don't get a blowoff answer, as I explained, many posts back, early in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted