1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you talk about?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Locked, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Is there really a difference? Do you think the person you're asking (commanding) really takes note how you word it? I think it's almost a little subconscious thing we do and it gives the coach/player a feeling of freedom to talk, but really they are going to be talking about whatever we ask after we say "Can you talk about..."

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There is a difference. One is a question. The other is an order. At the very least, I'd like to be polite. I can't imagine someone in the L.A. locker room is going to want to talk to reporters at this time, given the chance, so the least we could do is be nice about it.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

"Kobe, can you talk about what happened in the third quarter that turned things around?" How is that an order? You could eliminate the talk about, but like I said, I think it's just a subconscious thing that sometimes comes out as you're asking a question.

I can understand people having a problem with something like "Talk about the way the Celtics played." But if you just use the words "talk about" and ask a question, I think it's being a bit anal to get bothered by it.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

A lot of people in the business have an immediate knee-jerk reaction to any question with the words "talk about" in it.

I don't.

What makes a question bad or not is usually what comes after the "talk about."

"Talk about the third quarter" is a bad question, because it's too vague.

But I don't have a problem with a "talk about" question, so long as it is specific enough to, you know, be answered specifically.

5. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

When you fall off the pedestal you fall hard, my friend.

6. Why don't you tell me how you feel.

7. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I dunno. I just poured myself a drink. I'm trying to deal with the fact that Superman has his kryptonite ... kryptonite indeed.

8. Oh well. I suppose I'll have to find another secret admirer with lower standards.

9. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Can you talk about that? ;D

10. No comment.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I love how some people ask only the very best questions. Sometimes talking about something is exactly what someone needs for a story. And in fact, asking "can you talk about the thinking behind such and such a play....?" is a question. Can you talk about it?

12. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I also believe someone can ask a direct question in five attempts.

Draft saved Draft deleted