1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you talk about?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Locked, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Locked

Locked New Member

The first five questions opened with that question to Doc Rivers after game four. Whatever happened to asking a real question?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"At what point in the first quarter did you start thinking about Game 5?"

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'll take a whack at that one.
    You don't want to ask a question that gets a quick, dismissive answer.
    "Can you talk about" is a polite way of saying, "hey, asshole, here comes my question, and don't answer 'yes,' 'no,' or 'we'll see.' "

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When did Doc Rivers become Erik Bedard?

5. I have no problem with opening up questioning with talk about. It allows the source to set up the scenario in his own words and explain his thoughts. I'll ask more pointed questions as the interview goes on.

I didn't see the presser, but I'm guessing you had four different people asking about four different situations or four tv guys who want a soundbyte.

Starting off with a pointed question - much like you did on this thread - can make it sound like you have an agenda. As you no doubt do. It's fine for a message board, but you can put the source on the defensive really quick.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

How about:

What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?

7. But that's as softball a question as any. If it was a really good/really bad performance the answer is predictable.

Talk about is a scene setter.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Imagine I'm a coach of a team that blew a 24-point lead and is currently down three games to one (hi Lakers!).

You ask me a pointed question for the very first question.

My response: "You saw the game. You tell me." Then I walk out and refuse to address the media at any subsequent game.

Bingo. You just lost any chance to get the coach of the losing team the rest of the series. Even if said coach is eventually forced by the commissioner's office to talk to the media, I may clam up when I see you.

Interviews are about building trust with a source. Even if you've seen them play over 100 games that count over the course of a season.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

"CAN YOU TASTE IT?"

WTF?!?!?!

10. Locked

Locked New Member

but the question was used in the first five questions.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I hate "Talk about the way your team played." I would much rather ask, "Would you talk a little bit about the way your team played?"

We're not commanding them. We're questioning them. At the very least, can we ask them a real question?

Draft saved Draft deleted