1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you swim? Six kids in Louisiana couldn't.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gomer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

MrsExpendable can't dive either, so I don't know who is going to teach our kids.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember being scared silly to dive as a kid. I remember hanging on to the diving board at the local Y. Not quite sure how I managed to go from standing on the board to hanging on to it in a split second, but I did. I eventually got over it and can dive just fine from a standing position, but now that I'm fat and out of practice, I'm not sure I'd want to dive from a high board.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I really , honestly had no idea who she was. But yes, she's stunningly beautiful.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've been resisting posting this all day, but I can't any longer:

Q: What's the only wood that doesn't float?

A: Natalie.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

She was pretty famous as a kid, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Neither can I. Had lots of ear problems as a kid and never learned because of that.

One of my best friends had his right eardrum removed because of a congenital condition that caused it to keep growing long past when it should have stopped. (I may have part of that wrong, but it's something like that. The issue was that it would have eventually grown into his brain.) He can't dive, either, because he has no sense of up and down when he's underwater.

We also took DIP class together and they had us put on the beer goggles that simulate the effects of a few beers. He put them on, got a huge headache a few minutes later and had to leave.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also...Natalie Wood...God DAMN.

8. Nah, your username is as funny as it gets.

9. I think you really need to get a grip on reality. And take care of some deep, deep issues you're harboring. But why face reality when you can continue to run from it?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hell, I might have learned to swim before I could walk.

Even had ear problems as a kid but that didn't keep me from the water.

Swim, dive, snorkel and would like to learn how to scuba dive. I love being in the water.

My whole family is that way.

People not knowing how to swim, that's just something that baffles me.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. Miracle on 34th Street was her first big role.

Ryan, check out her filmography - she starred in quite a few classic films of the '50s and '60s: Rebel Without a Cause, The Searchers, West Side Story, Splendor in the Grass, Love With the Proper Stranger, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, etc.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of my fav college memories. Its winter break and I'm still at the apartment working during break at the restaurant and all the roomies are gone. Never watched Miracle before (I was 19) and turn it on. What a wonderful story, just another hint then of how ignorant I was at 19 and that not everything had to be in color.

Draft saved Draft deleted