1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you swim? Six kids in Louisiana couldn't.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gomer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't swim. I stay out of the water.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There are places that give free lessons to low-income people. The question, I suppose, is whether those folks can get there.
    The article I read about the Shreveport drownings got into the social issue of the poor being unable to afford lessons, or access to swimming pools. I suppose this whole thing will be an indictment of The Man before too long.

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Swimming was required at my high school. But because my uncle drowned when he was 14 (was actually a very accomplished swimmer, but hit his head diving into the pool and passed out), my parents made sure we all knew how to swim from a very young age. I've taken my 2-year-old to the beach a lot this summer and I insist on taking her in the water even on the days she'd rather sit on the shore and play with her bucket, shovel and sand. I'm happy to report she's gotten increasingly comfortable, to the point that when I was horrified when she fell and landed face first in the water the other day, she simply stood back up, sputtered a little and gave me a big smile.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No it's not an indictment of The Man. Nor should it be an indictment of poor people.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I grew up in, I guess, what would be considered a middle-class family. I knew of only one person when I was younger who had a pool. But I learned to swim long before I ever stepped foot in their pool. I learned how to swim in the ditch and the small bayou behind our house.

I think it comes down to one very basic thing, either you're afraid or you're not afraid of the water. If you're afraid of the water, it doesn't matter if you know how to swim or not, chances are you will likely panic and "drown yourself" if you experience any kind of drop in depth of shift in your balance.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The Red River can be dangerous due to shifting bottom structure caused by heavy currents, flooding and siltation.

As for drowning in two feet of water, it's possible. Once panic takes control and water enters the lungs, your disorientation supplants the thought of "Just stand up!" and replaces it with fear. If someone is trying to help or rescue you it's likely you will take them under, too.

Tragic situation.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

you can, theoretically, drown in a lot less than two feet of water.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Someone, from the Star I believe (maybe Thompson or JoPo, maybe someone else) did a fantastic story about Delaney's wife and the kids he saved a few years back on the anniversary of his death. If I can find it, I'll post it.

The thing about swimming, especially in those situations as described, is just overcoming the tendency to panic in water over your head. You don't have to be Michael Phelps.... you just need to be able to tread water and figure out a way to move into the direction you want to go.

Of course pulling a panicked person out of deep water is a different animal altogether. But if people knew at least enough to not panic, a lot more lives would be saved.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was at a pool party over the weekend. My two nephews, 7 and 12, both stated they couldn't swim. We taught them the basics .... Floating, simple side stroke .... In about 15 minutes. They were diving for coins in the deep end not too long after that.

If you want to learn, it's easy.but you have to be exposed I guess.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember my dad telling me that if you're trying to save someone from drowning, you should punch them in the face if at all possible.

The goal is to knock them out so they go limp, at which point you can pull them to safety, and your own safety is not in jeopardy.

To me it just sounded like a cool excuse to punch somebody in the face. :D

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Probably not a bad idea. I do remember from my lifesaving merit badge days that you are supposed to approach a struggling swimmer from behind, just so they can't drag you under.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I remember in our gym/swimming class in high school, when we did the cross-chest carry, the person who was being carried was instructed to thrash like mad to mimic a panicking drowning person. Amazingly, in a pool crowded with teenage boys, nobody got hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted