1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you start in news and move to sports??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, May 5, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just remember you get nights back in a lot of cases working news. But I did cover prom Sat. night and have a 7 a.m. school board meeting next week.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you misunderstood. news requires more digging, because the material is not spoon-fed as in sports. public records are transparent. in sports, beat reporters have to stay on the good side of the GM or AD or they're sunk. No such problem in news. You can be more hard-ass.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Fair enough. Sorry if I jumped down your throat, it's just that I've occasionally run into others on this board who get a kick out of calling news-siders lazy slack-asses. Being one, I get a bit defensive. Overly so, at times.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ooh...cover prom. I think even in my weekly days, I didn't do that.

OK, so I left the weekly before prom season. Still.

As for the news-sports switch, I don't see why you can't do it. Just be careful of tipping your hand too much. You're not gonna get hired as a news reporter if the hiring editor thinks you're gonna jump to sports at the first opportunity.

But if you're at a smaller paper, the sports department is bound to be eager for help. It can't hurt to ask if you can cover games on Friday nights or something. Of course, it would cut into your 40 hours, and if you're working at a smaller paper, OT is likely out of the question.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Went from sports to news and have little to no regret about it. It was great for my career, and frankly it's just as much fun. Reporting is reporting.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here's something else. I covered something out at a small airport where grade-school kids had the chance to go on short flights (10 minutes or so). I was able to hop along since I shoot Web video.

News gives you a chance to do many different things. You might cover a boring school board meeting or you could go off and cover something exciting.

Draft saved Draft deleted