1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you separate the candidate from his/her politics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

In a politician's case, can you separate him/her as a man/woman (values, personality, etc) from him/her as a politician? Suppose you hate a politician's views on a certain issue or just hate their overall platform. Do you like him/her as a person or do their issues cloud your judgment of them?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In terms of human relations, yes. Huckabee is abhorrent as a public official, but I think he has some coolness personally.
    In terms of voting, hell no.

3. For me, Paul Wellstone. Can't stand his politics, thought he was an honorable dude.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

This isn't even difficult...

I tend to agree with most of the positions that Hillary Clinton has tried to stake out for herself.

Simultaneously, I would vote for Satan Himself before I would vote for her because I am thoroughly convinced that she would do/say ANYTHING in order to be elected/re-elected while Satan Himself might put as yet unperceived limits on his perfidy.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Isn't this how we got into the mess the country's in right now, because people couldn't separate the candidate from his politics?
    W. was the candidate people "most likely would have a beer with" and yet he's driven the country into shambles....
    I don't care what the candidate's personal life is like if he or she can fix some shit and get us moving in the right direction again.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No, I usually can't because the two realms are too linked for me.

Some of the conservative policies make me think about the candidate, "How could you feel that way - it's so cruel to people" or "Why does everything have to revolve around big business and money?"

Some of the positions make me think less of the person.

Huckster comes the closest, though. But then again, Huckster has kinder, more 'liberal' stances on things like immigration.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Will point out (not necessarily as a hardline advocate of the position) that the liberal immigration policy would have enormous social costs, most of which would of necessity be borne by the middle class.

Immigration's the most impossible issue facing the country today. Every candidate with a tangible chance is giving the details a wide berth, because
    there are NO good answers to the question that are fair to everyone. NONE.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Agreed - but ultimately a choice will have to be made between 'fairness' and tormenting innocent children.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In general, no.

Having said that, I recall a conversation I had with one of my friends at karaoke. He's definitely a Republican and he disagreed with former Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D-Md.), but liked the guy personally. He told me that after I relayed a story to him about Sarbanes asking "ooh, can I have a copy" when I was about to reach in my bag and give him a copy of the paper I edit.

10. To an extent, yeah.
    The Huck seems to be a likable guy. McCain certainly is, within well-defined limits. And everybody I know on both sides of the aisle likes that old racist bag of sins, Pat Buchanan.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would have no problem having two beers with all three of those guys.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Track record helps.

I don't agree with Richard Lugar's politics, but I respect the man, and would probably vote for him if the Democrat running against him didn't distinguish himself in some way.

Then again, I respected Bob Dole in '96 and didn't vote for him.

It's probably a case-by-case thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted