1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you really write like this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I'll never tell, Sep 26, 2013.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Man accused of threatening neighbor while genital-hoisting

When your're wheeling out you garbage in the morning, the last thing you probably want to see is more junk.

A man told deputies that John Solomayar, his 60-year-old neighbor, had threatened his life before walking into the middle of a Port St. Lucie boulevard where he allegedly wagged his weiner at him while shouting, "suck it," according to an arrest affidavit, reports Will Greenlee in his Off the Beat blog for TCPalm.com in Stuart.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/strange/floriduh-blog/sfl-flduh-threatening-neighbor-waving-penis-20130924,0,4753407.story

I'll admit I laughed at the first sentence. However, how do you allow somebody to write "weiner." I know it's a blog, but for Christ sake, we're still journalists.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SO CLOSE.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Made it four words without a mistake.

Then crapped the bed with "you garbage."

BLOGS!

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

You're giving partial credit for "your're"?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wow, even worse.
    And I missed it.

BLOGS!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The idea was great, but the execution was terrible. Two mistakes in the first five words? Wow. And that paper won a Pulitzer this year.

7. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Um, you called out Will, but it was the woman copying his blog that used weiner AND had the mistake on you.

If you click on the link to the original blog, he used penis.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Um, we copied and pasted the same thing except for ...

By Barbara Hijek FloriDUH

7:29 a.m. EDT, September 25, 2013

No, I didn't even know Will existed. How did you get me calling out Will? My point was how are you a journalist and use the word wiener?

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

There's always tallywhacker.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

EDITORS!

11. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Because they way that you did it makes it looked the original blog used the word weiner. Since the criticism was of the woman, her name should have been included. That's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted