1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you pass eighth grade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 7, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

6/8 here, too. No, I'm not in the eighth grade, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, there was only one of those -- the Romeo and Juliet one -- that I thought my eighth-grade son would have no idea about. I guessed Pangaea (or however the fuck you spell it) because that was the only supercontinent I'd heard of.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I, too, got six. Missed the triangle -- math was always my worst subject -- and Romeo and Juliet.

I'm pretty sure that I learned a lot of that stuff after eighth grade, which was nearly 20 years ago. Shit.

3. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Five of eight

Based on the curriculums I recall, a lot of that stuff was high school stuff...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If only those stinkin' teachers would listen to us more often. With regards to my dad and geography, I actually ended up using geography quite a bit during my Navy days, and now, it just makes me feel a bit superior to say to someone, "Jeez, you didn't know that Jordan's capital is Amman? WTF is wrong with you?"

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I only answered five of eight correctly which leads me to say just two things. . .

One. . . I'd like to see a freaking eighth grader try to do my job and . . .

Two. . . I'm going to get a Freaking Haircut!!!!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Same here.

On both counts.

Missed that one, the triangle, R&J and Congress (only because I can't fucking count).

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Five of eight, but guessed (correctly, thank god) on three. The first triangle question was WAY over my head...fucking math problems. :mad:

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just had my eighth-grade son take it, and he got two, one of which was a guess. The only one he knew was the meiosis one. Yikes. he's a smart kid, makes good grades and establishes the curve on the standardized tests they have to take, so I'm wondering if AOL shot a little high on this one.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Well I got 7 of 8, missed the final Rodinia question.
    Of course, when it comes to useless trivia and stupid knowledge like this, I can pass with flying colors.

When it comes to finding my car keys, changing my oil or making anything in the kitchen other than a PB&J, I'm an imbecile.

10. Exit8 chick

Exit8 chick New Member

6 of 8. Never was one to get into politics, so got the congress one wrong. And I too could have sworn the answer was Pangea. I can safely say I learned the majority of this stuff in high school, not 8th grade, and that was less than 10 years ago, so my experience can't be that outdated.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Does anyone have eighth-grade-aged children, besides novelist who can verify if these are indeed things we supposedly should have known by that age?

That being said, I did a few sample questions from the TAKS test (the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) for the high school level about a year and a half ago. Let me say, those were tough freaking questions, heavy on math and science, but I guess if you're actually TAKING these classes, you'll be a little more up on the formulas, etc.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Romeo & Juliet

I know we read some Shakespeare in HS and I'm pretty sure we read Merchant of Venice when I was in 7th grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted