1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you pass eighth grade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ARD

ARD Member

I made Harris do the work, except for the first part:
    58-(18+1 for gutter)=39
    Shift+backslash, sg, 3, w p39, hz 0, vt p1.2  ;D

Or, on my new system, Create Frame, 58p-19p. Having math built in is cool, esp. for those of us who are challenged in that area.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bareliy passed algebra yet I spend most of my days figuring out ERAs and batting averages.

Hence, algebra is as useful as a set of balls on a tree.

3. ARD

ARD Member

6-for-8. I make the sign of warding away the evil eye toward the geometry question. And I thought Rodinia was probably where Rodan came from. I'd at least heard of Pangaea and Gondwana. ... And am I the only one who liked "Romeo and Juliet?" Mercutio has always been one of my favorite characters.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Fucking pangaea.

Four.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed. I don't need any formula to figure out batting averages or ERAs. That's really simple multiplication and division.

I have no idea why anyone would need to know what a + b * 1a =

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Gee...guess we should be glad Al Gore lost, since he scored lower on his college boards and had a lower GPA at Harvard than Bush did at Yale.

You can look it up..

By the way 7-8 from this kid.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, the first thing a good algebra class would teach you is WHY anyone would need to know what a + b * 1a =.

Without providing you real-life applications, sure, it's going to seem like there's no use for it.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The fact that you don't understand that you are using a formula does not change the fact that you are, actually, using a formula.

Zeke, I'd have to see this proof, There has to be a flaw in the proof if he's making 2+2=3.

On a side note, I had a writing professor in college who used a proof to prove that Hunter Thompson's narrative voice = Bugs Bunny.
    It was an entertaining class. I also smoked a lot of pot in college.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As did I. Which is why I majored in English and journalism, like a good little stoner.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I whiffed on the same two but also had a couple lucky guesses to get 6 of 8.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

6 of 8. Triangle one was easiest (even though I suck at math -- pretend you are computing area for quadrilateral (lXw) and then divide by two). Had no idea what started WWI. For some reason, remembered Meiosis.

And now, I am off to the bar to ask women to engage in sweaty meiosis.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I also missed the Romeo and Juliet one (I'm not sure why, I knew that play really well) and the last one.  We learned the Pangaea theory, but never any other ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted