1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you pass eighth grade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh shit. Did I d_b?

I might have busted my d_b cherry.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Theoretically, shouldn't you have done the best on this, considering you just went through eighth grade three years ago?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I remember getting into a pissing match with my geometry teacher in high school and I finally said, "I'm never going to need this garbage in my real-life job!"

And y'know what? I made damn sure I wouldn't, either. That's why I became a writer. ::)

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Geometry is about logic. It teaches a person how to think.
    That's why it is useful to everyone, regardless of a person's future occupation.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It's was actually 4 years ago and yes, I should've done the best. But come on man....we talkin' bout practice.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Flattery is the sincerest form of imitation. Err ... whateva. :D

Anyway, I had this argument with my mother 8,428 times. I had it with every math teacher from eighth grade to 11th grade. I had it with a science teacher or three. Probably a few other adults that I can't remember now.

But yes, I made damn sure I wouldn't need it, either. I consciously chose a career path that did not use any of that shit -- the same shit that I deemed "useless" at 14 has, indeed, been useless to me in my entire (brief) adult life.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'll say this much ... algebra helped me, as far as figuring column widths on pages and things like that. Batting averages in my head. ERAs.

Past algebra ... uh-uh.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Of course, you use the quadratic formula to figure out someone's VORP.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

x = earned runs
    y = innings pitched
    x/y x 9 = ERA.

Solve for ERA.

It's not solving a word problem involving a train from Chicago, but it ain't rocket science either.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hear ya. But I do. On pages, I have to.

58-pica page, 18-pica column on right. What's left for each column of three remaining?

40=x+1+x+1+x+1 (1-pica gutter), 40=3x+3...etc.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buck --
    I had a HS Algebra II teacher who would violently disagree with you regarding geometry.

He claimed it was all set up on a bunch of bogus premises and had no overall coherence. He would rant about this at least once a week.

Then he would diagram, on the board, a geometric proof showing that 2+2=3.

He was sort of crazy, but as an avowed geometry hater, I played along.

Draft saved Draft deleted