1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you pass eighth grade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Eight-question, eighth-grade quiz on AOL.

I managed 6 of 8, although I will admit that one was pure luck. The Romeo and Juliet question and the last one got me. Area of the triangle was a complete guess.

http://reference.aol.com/back-to-school

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, I got three.

:-[

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Six out of eight. I missed the two science ones.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn. I was humming along with the first 7 right and feeling my oats and then question 8 might as well have been written in aramaic. I still don't have a clue. 7 of 8.

5. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

two...

:'(

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Got 6 of 8 right, but the two I missed were the triangle one and the Romeo and Juliet question. That being said, we hadn't studied Romeo and Juliet by the end of eighth grade (not until 10th) and the triangle math we definitely didn't do until high school.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6/8. The Romeo and Juliet one nailed me too. Of course, I haven't touched it in 30 years.

I'd also be shocked if the average U.S. 8th grader reads any Shakespeare. I went to a very, very good school district, and we never touched it until high school.

The name of the primeval continent got me too -- when I was in school, the theory of plate tectonics was new stuff, and they hadn't established the names for the protocontinents they have now.

Of course, when I was in high school, the ideas that the moon was formed as the result of a planetary collision, and the dinosaurs became extinct because of a meteor impact, were considered outlandish.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hell,  you give me a picture of Europe and I can MAYBE find Italy.

Maybe.

Then again, on a map of the U.S. I can place, at most, 10-15 states. The end.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So that was a geology question? No wonder I didn't have a clue. I certainly didn't study geology in 8th grade. I think they were still teaching us that the earth is flat.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That pangea one has changed since I was in eighth grad :-\

Or else my memory is getting bad.

Or else my memory is getting bad.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought it was Pangaea too.

What's Pangaea then?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to crack on you IJAG, but this is a common lament. My dad, a former geography/history teacher (my teacher, in fact, on two occasions) used to be frustrated by the number of people who thought Houston or Dallas was the capital of Texas and New York was the capital of the U.S.

As an aside, my girlfriend tested me on the states and capitals and I'm proud to say I got 99 out of 100.

Simple math equations? Eh, I'm a moron in that regard.

Draft saved Draft deleted