1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about this? Maureen Dowd anti-semitic imagery?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you think that most readers know that editors write the headlines?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it much matters, but likely not.

What would seem to matter much more to me is that they actually read a column before commenting on it - which seems not to have been the case with this piece.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How do they pair?

Is that blog you just quoted something that is also seen as anti-Semitic? Seems like a pretty accurate description of the campaigns' opposing viewpoints.

4. Boom_70

Perhaps because the headline gave many readers a preconceived idea of what the column was saying.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't disagree necessarily, but as a newspapering matter the responsibility falls on the OpEd desk for having chosen then run the hed as it is. That's not on Maureen Dowd. The ideological nonsense that followed is just an illustration that lots of folks don't even know what it is they're complaining about. Maybe we need to give readers a great deal less credit rather than more. Contra http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/92762/

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The headline may not be Dowd's, but it is the Times. So, maybe we should be taking a broader look at the issue, and should focus on the Times as a whole, and not just Dowd.

How does a headline like that make it to print? Is their a Chink in the Times armor when it comes to blind spots for derogatory terms?

But, back to Dowd:

No. Nothing to see here. Just the imagery of a devious Jew, pulling the strings for a fresh faced, naïve front man.

What about her use of the term "divine right"? Yes, please Maureen go ahead and mock the idea that that Israel is a land given to the Jews by God.

Any other religious beliefs you'd like to mock? Maybe something to do with Islam, or Mohammad? How would that go over with the Times editors?

7. YankeeFan

I also like how she mocks Romney for caring so little about what was going on that he went on a talk show, and answered silly questions!

Meanwhile, the President went ahead with a scheduled fundraiser in Las Vegas.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or 'Pinocchio.' One of the two.

9. Boom_70

It's been well known for a long time that The Times is anti Semitic.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This reminds me a little bit of the "blood libel" flap.

11. Boom_70

In the past month Dowd has mocked everyone but Joe Biden and Clint Eastwood. For the most part with Dowd few are safe.

Maybe she just felt that Eastwood and Biden were low hanging fruit and aimed higher.

12. YankeeFan

Damn it! I planned to work a reference to that into an earlier reply and forgot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.