1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about this? Maureen Dowd anti-semitic imagery?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So says plenty of people:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/09/maureen-dowd-meets-antisemitism-charge-135700.html

Please don't ban me if this is off-limits. It seems like a journalism topic about a famous columnist who just happens to write about politics. This was a political column, but the question here is apolitical.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Other than a complete misrepresentation of the column by that blog, my big problem is that no one knows what it means to 'get out over your skis'.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As a Jewish person, to call that column anti-semitic is an enormous overreaction. Don't see anything offensive about it.

We'll give it a shot, Dick, and see where it goes.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I fail to see the slightest anti-Semitic imagery in Dowd's (whose work I dislike intensely) column. Just the usual shallowness that makes her such a blight on the op-ed section.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Enormous over-reaction, almost comical. Maybe there is some Beltway scuttlebutt about Dowd that provides context for Twitter criticism. I actually thought it was a good column, which is rare for her the last six or seven years.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

NY Times op. editor Andrew Rosenthal: "No fair-minded reading of Maureen Dowd's column supports the allegations you and others are making. She makes no reference, direct or implied, to anyone's religion."

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just love that term. Pairs nicely with " went into the turn too high"

I read Dowd religiously and am a big fan of her work and the cynical tone that she
    takes. Hate when she writes about Hollywood and find that she does take a strange protective tone when she writes about Joe Biden.

While we're on Dowd , she wrote a critical column of the Republican Convention that took some pretty good jabs and Mitt and Ryan. Noticeable by it's absence though was no mention of Clint Eastwood and his talk with the chair. Seems like that would have been right in her wheelhouse. Perhaps she did not want to upset her Hollywood friends.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hahaha.

God forbid anyone say something about welfare reform, or making changes to any social welfare program. They're immediately charged with racism, and blaming the problem on "welfare queens".

But a liberal -- Maureen Dowd in this case -- talks about a "neocon puppet master" who was leading the neocon effort to "slither back" into power, and no one sees any hint of anti-Semitism.

What does she have to do, complain about a cabal of Swiss bankers ruling the world?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This looks like a pre-emptive strike against any Dem or media effort to explain Sheldon Adelson's role in the election. They're laying the groundwork for a "pattern" of anti-Semitism when attention focuses on the shadowy billionaire -- who is, in fact, a shadowy billionaire.

And Politico is only too happy to carry water for anyone that whispers in its ear.

10. YankeeFan

The damn Zionists have too much influence.

The "Israeli lobby" is too powerful, and our support of the Zionist Jewish State is the source of all our problems in the Middle East.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But she doesn't say that.

The headline says it. Editors write headlines.

Perhaps because in the body of the piece Dowd quotes Wolfowitz using the word 'slither' - to describe Obama.

12. YankeeFan

Dowd's piece pairs nicely with this one from earlier in the week:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.