1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about the pope?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Mar 29, 2010.

?

Should the pope step down?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2010.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nobody mentioned Muslims. And Tony, unless you are Catholic, being snide to those of us who ARE Catholic and go to church every week even though the pope has proven to be tolerant of child molesters, simply because you side ideologically with that asshole is pretty weak.

I've been fortunate enough to know plenty of good priests at the basic parish level. But if the pope or any of those asshole cardinals told me it was a sin to donate to charity, I'd be giving even more money.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

First off, I am Catholic.

What pisses me off right now is that the NYT is pumping a story that is aimed at trying to make the pope look bad to help rehabilitate the image of Rembert Weakland, the former archbishop of Milwaukee who was very much responsible for stonewalling on the pedophile priest issue and is now trying to pass the buck. He's also the same Rembert Weakland who used archdiocese money to pay off $450K in extortion money to try to keep hidden his homosexual affair while he was the archbishop of Milwaukee.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Can we agree they both look pretty shitty? I remember that about the Milwaukee bishop and thought he didn't exactly come off as angelic either.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Times is helping rehabilitate a Milwaukee archbishop? To the detriment of the Pope? Why?

Because the Catholic church and the New York Times are such natural longtime allies?

Are you denying a long pattern of pedophilia in the Church?

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I am, for one, confused by Old_Tony -- again.

What an extremely odd line of thinking. First it was Muslims and then it was the NY Times all out to do something.

Here's the thing. Before he was pope, Benedict turned a lax eye to the pedophilia scandals as they were brewing and instead went after priests and bishops who were becoming more progressive.

Secondly, my religious faith has taken some turns but I've been regularly attending a Greek Orthodox church for several years now.
    Our priests can get married, fuck, have kids, do whatever, with-in reason, and everything is fine. This seems to have worked pretty well for the last couple of thousand years.
    Catholic priests not being able to marry, have children and the rest is an idea of man, not something from the bible.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not denying it at all. But the archbishop the NYT is in cahoots with was shuffling pedophile priests as much as anyone, then used archdiocese money to pay off his own blackmail bill. But he's a liberal activist, so the NYT loves him for some unknown (yeah, right) reason.

Ask yourself this: The NYT comes out with a story with two sources -- the discredited Weakland and a lawyer who is involved in civil cases against the church hoping to get millions of dollars -- and on the same day SNAP is protesting at the Vatican handing out flyers citing the NYT story. Can you say "coordinated campaign?" And why, mind you, is the NYT involved in a coordinated campaign?

9. Petrie

Petrie Guest

The one on the left is recovering from his loss earlier tonight. :D

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So, like your politics, your answer is some crackpot nonsense and conspiracy theory bullshit.

12. To the last part ... Yes and No.
    It is not directly addressed in the bible, but the wise ones of the Catholic Church, somewhere along the line, got it in their heads that because Jesus lived his life as a single man (Don't get started on the Mary Magdalene being his wife storyline) priests also needed to remain single.

Crock o' shit IMO...

Draft saved Draft deleted