1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about the pope?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Mar 29, 2010.

?

Should the pope step down?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2010.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If we are allowed to talk about the Catholic church, and with the pope up to his pointy hat in the sex abuse scandal, I wonder if folks think he should go back to Bavaria.

I think so. It's embarrassing and reflects terribly on the church.

And I really wonder with the way the church has handled these sex abuses cases over the past 40 years if the church is more than just embarrassed and trying to keep things quiet and discourage lawsuits. I wonder if there are so many pedophiles throughout the church that they protect and defend one another.

The numbers of priests who have been accused/convicted of sexual assault is off the charts statistically.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Conservatives are in full control of the church. Pope Dirk Benedict is going nowhere.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

Maybe people should stop acting like the Pope is some bastion of religious sanctity, and that will take care of the rest of it. Nothing against Catholics (most of the people I hang around with, including family, are Catholic), but I've never understood the Pope thing.

And yes, if he can't keep his church in order whatsoever, he needs to head back to wherever he came from and let someone else give it a whirl.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If anyone is expecting the Catholic Church to change, then they don't know the church. This blog entry by New York's Archbishop should give you some idea of that. Of course, it acknowledges that molestation is bad, but he also bitches about coverage and how everyone is out to make the church look bad:

http://blog.archny.org/?p=581

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I could care less about the Pope, The Vatican, the Catholic Church, Child-Molesting Priests, and funny pope hats.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

The question is whether parishioners will. If many in the rank-and-file bolt, will the powers that be finally get the message that any form of sex abuse is bad - and it's even worse in the name of God? Doubt it.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I want to talk about the Popemobile.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not a good place to bugger little boys. Too many windows

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love a good use of "bugger." :D

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's a travesty that the Church is controlled by conservatives, and that it will not change.

After all, history is littered with instances where major religions are very open to change. Oh yes, organized religion is usually such a progressive thing, embracing changes in society and encouraging followers to mix with people of other faiths.

Except those darn Catholics and their Pope.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I detect the usual tinge of blue from Piotr. And massive flight has occurred in the US and Europe. The developing world is the growth market

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Catholic church hasn't changed so much. Granted.

That's why whole new religions and countries splintered off.

So there has been quite a bit of change, actually.

Draft saved Draft deleted