1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about talking about politics?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sick of your kid already, Rick?

I think transparency comes with its own set of issues. If the moderators publicize every decision they make, then those decisions lead to mass messages and criticism.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

100% spot-on. When I first found this place around 2005 or '06, I soon noticed i was coming here more often and had dropped about five or six other sites off my radar. I was getting everything here that those five or six sites were offering.

Politics got banned and I still kept coming back. The site still has a lot to offer. But I was coming back less and less.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I didn't so much volunteer for that as ... well, long story. But I am shipping him off to school in less than two weeks.

I was thinking of something way nerdier and less important. I was playing an online cricket team management game, and I was voted to run the national team, where you take the best young players from all the teams in your region and play them against other country's teams. It was about an hour's worth of work a week to manage the team, scout, set tactics, etc. I love that game and regularly spent too much time playing it, but as soon as it turned into something I had to do (because by running for the position, I had basically promised the other players I would do my best with the team), I resented the hell out of it and it became a chore.

Tom Sawyer was a wise man.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My first thought was back to when I started bartending at my favorite gin joint. Having to be there was suddenly not so fun as wanting to be there. i got over it, though, because it was still a fun way to make some extra money.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And besides, if we don't allow heated discussion on politics, how are we ever going to make it a whole season talking about Tebow? :)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He trying out for the basketball team?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not yet, but I'm making my calls to the local paper to cover more elementary school basketball right now, so they can't say later that I'm only calling because my kid is on the team.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I don't know if you remember, but there was a politics sub forum some years back. As I remember, it was pretty heavy with the back and forth.

Comi g from a news background, I love to debar politics, but am Leary of wading too much into political threads simply because of the personal sniping.

One thing on banning, why does it have to be a 24 or 48 hour thing? If you're prick, out someone, or break the rules of the board, youre suspended indefinitely. Could be a day, week or month. Might make people think twice.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wasn't here then, I don't think. Also, did you have a stroke midpost?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Versatile, that post made me laugh out loud, well done. Unless of course he really did have a stroke, then you are just heartless bastard.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

iPhone fingers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.