1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about talking about politics?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One way it might work... One thread... That's it... An official 2012 political thread. The Mods only have to police one thread and they don't have to worry about a new thread every time some politician on either side says or does something...

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The vitriol generated by the political thread will contaminate all.

I'm not interested in political discourse here, but I'm not against it.
    I enjoy the vitriol. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it will be contained to a single thread.

In the end, it comes down to the mods and the posters who like to get their feelings hurt.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree with you, but I also think the current state is sort of like a 16-year-old with a girlfriend who won't touch his penis. There's a lot of pent up energy here that might get released with a politics thread.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anyone who visits a public anonymous message board and repeatedly complains to the mods should be blocked by the mods.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Have to agree that the congenital firebombers and barnburners here aren't limited to politics. Lots of insults possible everywhere.

That said, I disagree that it's some high number of unmanageable posters here who need correction. It's the instigators - with whom we're all familiar - who tend to skate away while the second man in takes the penalty.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Maybe we should cut the shit and name the troublemakers.
    There would be a very clear consensus on whom they are.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the kind of bullshit we deal with.

First, as I posted above, if you have moderating concerns, this kind of passive-aggressive post accomplishes zero -- and in fact, is inflammatory. We don't have favorites. We don't have vendettas against anyone. Did you really need to add that to the thread? What is the point? You don't like the moderating on here? Fine. No one is forcing you to post here

If anyone has a specific issue with something posted on this board, we are ALWAYS here to listen, and we will ALWAYS step in when someone crosses a line -- no matter who the person is. Of course what we are getting here are vague assertions that we like some people and hate others and play favorites. Which is really odd, because not even all the moderators like the same people on here.

The kind of post I quoted, typically someone whose posting history is prone to an argumentative nature that rubs other posters wrong, and very often is someone who has come and gone with multiple user names being a pain in the ass with each one. I don't know if that is the case with Norrin Radd, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Even if I am wrong about that, what is the purpose of your vague assertion of favoritism? It basically boils down to you not understanding why we don't ban everyone you dislike (or have gotten into pissing matches with). Naturally, we play favorites, because we don't indulge your negative personality. So of course, it means we have a vendetta against certain people or a love others and don't treat everyone equally.

And that is absolute bullshit. We don't play favorites on here. There is no official or unofficial approved or unapproved list of posters. Yet, we hear that bullshit all the time. Certain people passive-aggressively post it every chance they get. I have gotten it twice since this thread was started.

The reality is that we have a bunch of disagreeable people on here who will never be happy with anything we do. As a moderating group we each have people on this board we personally get along with and some we personally don't. One thing I know we all do well is go out of our way to put aside any of that when it comes to enforcing a standard on the board. I personally go out of my way -- and this has included many people who are constant pains in the ass in general, and several who are downright nasty to me in particular -- to always argue "give him / her " a second chance before "disciplining" as you put it.

But I know there are always going to be the same people who don't believe that and see this giant conspiracy in which there is a moderating crew that doesn't "target" the right people. When our goal isn't to target anyone. It's to keep the board running smoothly. If you really don't believe me, perhaps its worth looking inward and questioning why you are so wrapped up in a message board that you are obsessing over who gets "disciplined." We're certainly not, and honestly would prefer not to have to ever suspend or ban anyone. When we do, it is because we have done everything we can to get through to the person and they have really left us no choice.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It might help if people stopped crying and whining to the moderators. I really don't understand the purpose of running to the principal if you feel you've been slighted on here. Ignore it, respond or move on. What does going and bothering volunteer moderators accomplish?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, there really wouldn't be consensus. That is the problem. And all that is going to do is start the kind of shit we are trying to avoid, right?

Half the people we get complaining about others on here don't realize they are as big a part of the problem as the person they are complaining about.

And no matter how patiently you try to explain it, they will never see it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

+1.

So little of what I see warrants a complaint to a moderator.

I don't think anyone should be bullied into not posting, but that's not what I'm seeing.

We have some really smart people here, who are knowledgeable and passionate about politics. If folks didn't go running to mods with every complaint, maybe they wouldn't find moderating political threads to be such a bother.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Anyone paying attention around here can see there are about 10 posters who orchestrate the problems on these threads.
    This isn't brain surgery.
    But we will just part ways on this point - I haven't the interest or energy to debate it.
    I do get the feeling many people on this board were bullied in their youths, thus the compulsive and self-soothing tattle-taling.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ragu, nearly all of your posts in this thread have focused on the negative and why it's so hard to be a moderator and why political threads have failed in the past. You've failed to address the more thoughtful posts in this thread, the ones proposing ways in which politics discourse might work. Would Mizzougrad96's idea for a single thread work? It seems to limit your workload in the baseball thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.