1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about Imus like adults?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How pathetic is it that people think this is such a big deal that they're asking presidential candidates about it?

2. Ides -- If enough people at his network get hit in the pocketbook, the question of what we think about his firing will be moot.

3. Mizzougrad96

I agree 100 percent... This doesn't merit 1/100th of the coverage its receiving...

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No more pathetic than the fact that first page and a half of this thread was dominated by discussion of our membership's handling of the previous thread.

5. If it's "overblown," it's at least partly overblown because Imus's famous buddies are scrambling around publicly trying to defend the indefensible. And JW's notion that the team members were juiced up by their coach is belied by the obvious evidence of their innate dignity at their press conference. Calculated contrarianism is a hard habit to break, I think.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm thinking that this is becoming a bit of a chicken/egg deal. It IS major news now that advertisers are pulling their spots and threatening Imus' future ... but was it truly major news before the advertisers reacted to the early media-fueled outrage?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We've had discussions before on offensive language, and the thing that sticks with me is the bit about blacks calling each other "nigger" in attempt to desensitize themselves to it, so it would not bother them as much when a white person hurled it their way. Whether that practice has been effective, I don't know, but if the senses of society at large have become so dulled to offensive language that a guy like Imus feels he can just throw anything out there, I'm left to wonder if it's been taken too far.

As a tangent, a friend of mine made an interesting connection between Imus and the Dixie Chicks: Yes, they have freedom of speech, but there's no guarantee that that freedom carries no consequences . Both DC and Imus have suffered consequences.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think you were way out of bounds locking those threads.

But I know how kids are with their new toys.

The Imus comment was just as stupid as a lot of what he says on that show. I've seen much worse out of him.

It wasn't in the same zip code in being racist and mean-spirited as Fuzzy or Jesse Jackson, or any number of other assholes.

I thought the worst aspect of what he said was its being an attack on these young women as whores, though "hos" is certainly a euphemistic ebonic.

The scary thing, with this board reaction and, now, sponsors' retraction of funding, is that the whole face of comedy is about to be blanched (think Eddie Murphy in makeup to become a white guy on SNL).

If you ain't Bill Cosby, Jerry Seinfeld or George Carlin, time to pack your bags boys and girls.

It was a stupid line more than racist, but the reaction has been more offensive.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm sorry, but Rutgers is milking this...

What Imus said was idiotic, but if I have to turn on another morning show and see a player say she was "scarred for life" by the comments, I'm going to fucking puke...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, listening to Stringer on Mike & Mike right now, I'm kinda leaning in that direction myself.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian - You have constantly told us that we should forgive Bill Clinton for taking advantage of a White House Intern.

Bill Clinton apologized. Imus apologized and will again directly with the Rutgers players.

Why should all of the politicians and media who enjoyed Imus support and friendship jump ship now? It would show me more if they accepted his apology, told him he was wrong and moved on.

Imus has said crazy things for years and all these same politicians continued to support the show.

I'm shocked there is gambling going on here applies.

I would think a lot less of guys like Tim Russert if they jumped ship. I submit that Russert would not have any best selling books if he did not have the Imus forum.

Mike and the Mad Dog showed me something yesterday by their unwillingness to throw Imus under the bus when it would have been easy to do.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Keep the shots off this thread, please.

Think of the time between the first thread and this thread as a walk around the block to calm down.

And I listened to one person yesterday that I despise, who did a solid and lucid interview on this subject. I thought it was someone doing an imitation, because it was a mature discussion instead of fawning pap. I was stunned by Jim Rome....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.