1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we send the bill to the Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 23, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So a Catholic Church sends a couple on a ten-year, round-the-world cruise on a yacht, in order to distribute Bibles to the infidels. And as we now know, the couple get killed, the US Navy withstands an RPG attack, a SEAL team's life is risked, and 15 pirates get captured...and will be brought here for crime and punishment. When this is all said and done, you, me, that church and all Americans will be left paying tens of millions for this fiasco.

So I ask, can we send the bill to the untaxed Catholic Church?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Silly me. I was going to blame the pirates.

3. Jay Stone

Jay Stone New Member

TV, that wouldn't be without precedent. I could be wrong about this, but seems like I've read that rescuees like lost hikers or injured skiers get bills from government agencies in some states. Why wouldn't that be the case here?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The mountains and woods aren't breaking the law. The pirates are.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. Tens of millions of dollars is a gross exaggeration.
    2. No.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How so? A US Navy warship tailed them for days? 15 people being shipped back, put on trial, then locked away for years? And all on the government's dime? It adds up to tens of millions of dollars when it's all said and done.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Did the boat launch from the United States for this mission, or maybe, just maybe, was it sailing around there anyway?

And the "what ifs" when you start billing victims for the trials for and incarceration of their perpetrators could be endless.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 15 pirates should have been lined up against the railing, shot in the head, and dropped in the water, as maritime law allows.

And the video sent straight to YouTube.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Boy. Somebody has an ax to grind.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You have to offset whatever number you come up with by the cost of whatever that should would have been doing but for what they actually were doing.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I wonder if they received any kind of guidance from the government that said, don't go there.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me?

There's nothing illegal about traveling the world or giving away bibles. Neither the couple or catholic church did anything wrong, only the fucking pirates did. What a weak ass attempt to scapegoat the Catholic church.

Draft saved Draft deleted