1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we restart the evolution thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Because this has been a hot issue (and the NOVA documentary was phenominal) I will point over to an audio clip (Point Of Inquiry.org). At the link you can find an MP3 link for download.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is it your theory that scores of generations recorded, had a combined hundreds of sons and 4 daughters? The rule is that girls make the cut if they are relevant to the plot, strict geneology is recorded through the males.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

"As nearly as I can tell..."
    That says all that needs to be said about your vision...
    Psuedo-Catholic.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except that it is not steadfast. These words have been through multiple translations. They were written by men, with their own views and biases. For a long time they were kept in languages that most Christians could not read, so the church could decide what to tell them to believe. Men were burned at the stake for translating the Bible into words that the average person could read.

Any bible written in English comes from words that were written down by one man or another who was labelled as a heretic, blasphemer or both by the church of that time for his efforts.

The result is that Christianity can easily be seen as fractured, with many groups all claiming their interpretation is correct.

Is the actual text correct or not? If so, which version of it? If not, then aren't we just listening to another man's interpretation of what previous religious figures wrote about their beliefs?

This is what you would have us believe is steadfast? You've got to be kidding.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If I took it that far, you'd take the great commandment love of God/love of others as yourself and tear it to pieces as bad advice.

Or, the golden rule.

All ancient irrelevant horseshit for these times, where hypocrisy rules.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was weak, yawn.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Bible was written by men who think they know what Jesus wanted. The key word is think. Factor in the thousands of changes, large and small, made by wordsmiths and storytellers over the year, and we have a flawed template of what The Son Of Man told his disciples.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No it ain't Petty. Let's see how the simplest and most fundamental aspect of most religions gets ripped to pieces. You'll see.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not my point, yawn. you responded to outofplace, yet you didn't address what he "said."

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You forgot the bit where all the prophesying from the Old Testament, the stuff that proves God spoke to the prophets was, historically speaking, either written down as the events were happening or afterward.

So, sure, they might have said something was going to happen, but they said 100 other things that didn't, and guess which was written down? And that's the generous viewpoint. The harsher, more realistic view is that the prophesying is BS.

And explain to me again how it was Christians and their forebears -- and only them -- who came up with the brilliant notion that society might function better if we didn't kill each other or steal each other's stuff, and how that great fundamental revelation proves that the Bible should be the rationale behind denying people basic freedoms to live their lives as they choose.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Let's look at historical research from its outset.

Anyone, anywhere, who wants to prove their point can, if they only look for a cheering section. There are people who have offered counter proof to your claims (why I would go into them at this point would be considered a waste of time, since you're not searching for any real truth, just bashing and condemning), but someone would immediately rise and say that person is connected to the faith and therefore cannot be taken seriously because of their bias. So who hasn't a bias? Those that say our founding fathers were a bunch of God-hating secularlists certainly do. The book they loathe has withstood centuries of criticism. This country, like it or not, still has a vast majority who claim a connection to that faith, so deal with that. It's sad that you so militantly fight it and those who follow it. I'm not forcing you to believe.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You obviously haven't heard that much of history in the Jewish tradition was passed on orally. These were a people on the run and rulers, not just against them, but historically, would wipe out records of history that were set against them.

So see? Your democrat revisionists have been at it for centuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted