1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we restart the evolution thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So maybe you should trust in that which is steadfast.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The story of Adam relates and is traced through the Jewish community, not the world at large.

There are the absolute creationists and those who can tie the "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" to the evolutionary process and reconcile them withouth booting one or the other. There is a strong biblical position that between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 was an entire age.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Maybe. Or maybe religion needs to adjust to current sociological mores and beliefs.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's putting the happenin' generation before the foundational mores.

Horse, meet cart. Now follow it.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I wonder if any of Solomon's 700 wives have any sisters for Yawn to shack up with.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Bible was written thousands of years ago. Society has consistently evolved. Why hasn't religion? What was permitted then may not be now. And to blindly dismiss scientific advances is ridiculous , in my view.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Polygamy wasn't part of the EVOLVING New Testament.

And once again, hockeybeat lumps all of Christianity into one group. Not all Christians, including myself, take the literal seven-day plan or that everyone descended from Adam created in Iraq.

Name one problem you have with the Ten Commandments as far as societal mores.

8. Clever username

You just referenced the old testament. Can't have it both ways, champ.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I dunno about macroevolution, but these Texas grapes I'm drinking evolved pretty well.

That's all I got.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, I just drew an example from the Old Testament to challenge the validity of ancient cultural mores being useless today.

11. Clever username

As for these, any decent human being should already inherently know not to do these things. I don't need a book to tell me that it's wrong to kill, steal or lie.

12. Clever username

Same thing. You're picking and choosing.

Draft saved Draft deleted