1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we now take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Even Plaxico Burress?

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have mixed feelings. At least the pledge acknowledges God.

But the way America is today does NOT acknowledge or honor God, so it actually comes across as hypocrisy. We give God lip service, and then go out and do whatever like nothing matters. So why the lip service?

They've already taken prayer and the Bible out of schools and many other areas of public life. And now this? And these same people wonder why there are so many problems. Well, you reap what you sow.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, hell. Nobody's taken prayer out of schools. You can pray all day long, if you like. Nobody's gonna stop you.

Just don't ask the teacher to lead the class in prayer, that's all.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wow.

How about this:

Now, Congress added "under God" to a previously non-religious text. To me, that's problematic. But I didn't care one way or the other about God at the time in which I actually said the Pledge.

But at this point in my life, no. I'm not going to say it. And to have YOUR beliefs attached by law to something about our country, which includes so very many sets of beliefs, is upsetting on just about every level it can be.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you don't agree with it, don't recite it!!

As for the first amendment, including a phrase "under God" hardly constitutes an endorsement of any particular religion. That's broad enough that one can interpret it any way they so choose.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Unless you don't believe in God.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

No. God is pretty much considered the christian god, otherwise it would say supreme being... for instance, if it said allah, you would think of islam, no?

anyhoo, when I was little I could never figure out if it was under god, or under guard.. I always like the latter and went back and forth....as I grew, realized it was god and my own belief system evolved, I just quit saying those two words altogether. Sometimes, though, I still say under guard just for old times' sake.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to digress but when I was a little tike I wondered why "our father would fart in heaven"

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was in fifth grade, I was made to stand up and recite the Pledge by my teacher after we all had already said it. She made me repeat it because she claimed she couldn't hear me, even though I was one of the louder reciters.

She just screamed at me that she couldn't hear me, making me more upset, and made me recite it a third time. She decided to humiliate me in front of the whole class.

Looking back now, I wish my parents would have sued her ass and the school's. But my parents were old-school, and took the teacher's side.

So today, whenever someone doesn't want to recite the pledge, I fully support them. And take 'Under God' out of it. This country isn't what it is because of God. It's because we had enough guns to overpower anyone who resisted us.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well the pastor that originially wrote the damn thing didn't include the line to begin with and his daughter faught against the addition.

It seems to me that the pastor pushing it should have never gotten his way.
    Well she went to my neighbor's door after leaving my place this morning.

Please, explain what one has to do with the other.

Not true. If you are a deist, “god” is spelled out with a lower case “g”. If you are Jewish, it would look like this “G-d”. If you are Muslim you would write “Allah”. If you have no faith at all then the word “god” would be lower case and wouldn’t be paid homage to at all.

So, yes, it is an explicit endorsement of Christian faith.

12. Boom, don't know if you're aware of this, but the first group to take on the Pledge in the courts was a Christian denomination, Jehovah's Witnesses. They felt that coerced reciting of the Pledge caused them to violate the Commandment about placing no false gods before God.

The Supreme Court first ruled against the Witnesses, deciding that coerced loyalty was necessary to ensure people's dedication to democracy. Then, seeing what that concept taken to an extreme did to Europe in World War II in the form of fascism, they reversed course a few years later.

The history of this makes steam come out of my ears when God-lovin', gun-totin' "real" Americans get riled up about the Pledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted