1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we now take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Double J, they haven't done that since the late 50's and early 60's.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Only Catholicism is ever forced down anyone's throat, and only if you're a pubescent boy. :eek: :D

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was still happening in my burg in the late '70s.

But it was O Canada.....better song, more staying power. ;)

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll save you a bowl, dude.

5. While we're at it - let's get rid of Maryland.

Naming a state after Mary Mother of God? Not in my America. I say get rid of the whole damn state! Fuck it. Bath water, baby - screw it. What's Maryland ever done for anyone? Oh and don't get me going on the City of the Angels.

What? Queen Mary?

Oh - nevermind.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Amen?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

With liberty and justice for all.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, so the penultimate line (that hurt me to type that)

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is it absolutely impossible for you to respect people who don't share your beliefs?

There are people that have a strong faith and don't want it in there due to a strong belief in the importance of the separation of church and state. And there are some very happy, well-adjusted people with no religious faith. Just because you need it to get through the day doesn't mean everybody else does.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

In Hawai'i, they play both "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "Hawai'i Pono'i" (the Hawaiian national anthem) before games. The crowd sings along with one.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Hondo, we're paying for the fact that this nation is truly lying to itself these days when it says it's under God. For example, we're just know hearing that we've been in a recession since Dec. 2007 and it's taken these greedmongerers this long to figure that out. We're a nation that worships self. For that reason, I'd just as soon take it out of the pledge because all that's doing is mocking God.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Isn't San Francisco spanish for St. Francis?

Any relationship is a mockery.

Draft saved Draft deleted