1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we now take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 1, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The pastor who pushed to get "under God" added to the Pledge, dies at age 97.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/ap_on_re/obit_docherty

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think we should just get rid of the pledge all together. Nowadays it seems to "big brotherish"

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah...forget that 95 percent of the country believes in a supreme being. We're going to make the five percent who don't feel good about themselves.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd say get rid of it.

I don't want to feel as though religion is being forced down my throat. Shit like saying "under God" does that.

I've been known to stop reciting after "one nation," then pick it back up with "indivisible."

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

By whom?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

how about something more catchy like "under Brooklyn Decker"

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hope we don't get rid of the pledge. We should be thankful we live in a country like this. I never realized that until I was in high school. Myself and one other student were the only ones in the class who ever stood up for the pledge. I knew my reasons, but I finally asked him one day. He lived in Russia till the mid 90s. Didn't really know what freedom was until he got to the states. That's why he stood for it. Meanwhile the kids in the class who had it easy their whole lives talked through the damn thing.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd go with "under Jenna Jameson." She's bound to get to everyone eventually, right?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You realize no one's saying to get rid of the pledge, right? And also that "under God" hasn't been in it for its entire life?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hope so. I'm tired of waiting.

11. I have to give Guy props for that.

Made me laugh

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Actually, I was not aware of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted