1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can We End The War On Drugs Now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(AP) President-Elect Barack Obama today introduced the men who will craft his new drug policy.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The White McHorse

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

First, heroin isn't scarce, there is plenty to go around at current levels of demand. Make it legal and demand will increase, causing an initial price increase, making anyone that can supply it even more valuable. The cartels in control are anything but a handful of enterprising thugs, the heroin trade is a huge global enterprise with very intelligent businessmen running it. Don't mistake street level dealers with the people at the top.

What will the cartels do when this becomes legal? Do you think they will simply vanish? They will be the people in control of the legal heroin trade and will get stronger, and will have MUCH more money to use to fund the same terrorists they fund now.

Look at Russia as an example. Who got rich when the state assets were sold to the private sector? The Russian mob, who now have a much stronger stranglehold on the country than they did before.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Oh my god, how I hate the above the influence ads. They are so stupid, I know plenty of people who smoke weed on a daily basis that have great jobs. They use weed in the same manner that many people use alcohol, which kills way more people every year. Instead of going home and having a drink, they smoke as a way to mellow out after work.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

who says miracles can't happen on here? Me and F_B agree!

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

War on Canuckistan

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Typical addictive thinking.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Not sure what is meant by this?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm guessing the nerd is saying you are qualifying the use of dope.

i'm also guessing the same person has drank and then jumped behind the wheel more than once.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's kind of what I figured. I just have never seen weed as a terrible, horrible ill on society. Some other drugs yes.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i find much humor in the fact that the folks that hate smoke the most, are the biggest drunks on the face of the earth.

long live the liver.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I always found that kind of ironic. I knew a guy who was a college hoops player who, between shots of tequila, was tring to convince me that his body was a temple and that was why he would never smoke weed. Later that night my buddy said he saw the same player at McDonald's with like 4 bags of food.

Draft saved Draft deleted