1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we avoid becoming part of the story here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And I'm assuming your photographer was the required five yards away from the touchline, right?

2. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

BY GOD KING! PODUNK HIGH HAS NOWHERE TO RUN WHEN THE CAGE DOOR CLOSES!
    [​IMG]

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was just traveling fast and with her eye in the viewfinder, the photog couldn't react fast enough.

Cadet, not sure if she was exactly 5 yards back of the touchline, but she was clearly far enough back that the ref could tell the ball was well out of bounds.

The reason this incident isn't higher in the story is that it wasn't pivotal to the outcome. The visiting team was going to lose whether this goal was scored or not. They just weren't very good. And in a story, it's not my job to call out the refs. I describe what happened. That's enough to let the reader decide if he's an idiot or not.

I did like the idea of "Team Assmonkey couldn't catch a break, even a photographer got an assist," but the story is done and filed.

4. JME

JME Member

I wouldn't say it mattered in terms of reporting it since it was a blowout, but I would have probably used it as a lede about how everything wentr right for Podunk.

5. Exactly my point. It's a talker. What do you think the players will be saying about the game? "Man, we got beat so bad, a photographer scored against us."

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

was it a one-, two-, or three-man crew?

if it was a three-man crew calling the game, there is no way this could have happened. the linesman SHOULD have been near or on the goal line, and has only two responsibilities, out-of-bounds (or a goal) and offsides.

two-man? could happen since that ref is responsible for more than a linesman

one-man? shit, anything could happen.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sherri ain't got nothing on the Fabulous Moolah.

Draft saved Draft deleted