1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can voter anger lead to secession?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For all the Rick Perry bluster, the American flags I see flying on poles when I drive to and from work tell me the secession status of Texas.

Texas as an independent country connecting with the U.S. via an antebellum Anschluss (as cited in media) was superseded by the conditions of readmission to the Union after the Civil War.

(I misspelled "to" and "Anschluss." Es tut mir leid.)

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are many Texans who believe that the Lone Star State, which was once its own country, could do it again. There are those who think California, another state that was once its own country could too.
    But it ain't happening. Like it or not, this is THE United States. We're in this for the long haul!!!!

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, there was some talk of Vermont breaking off from the U.S.
    Don't think that will happen.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Oh, those crazy people in Vermont. Another state that was on its own.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas and California are the only states whose economies could compare with other countries favorably independently (top 10 or 11 each). Texas will catch up with Cali in population (and congressional representation) in 20 years and will probably be economically more important long before that.

ADD: As long as Texas has as much influence as a whole on the nation, which will be practically forever, Texas is going nowhere.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not really. Any of the states that might seriously consider it would be on the list of states that get more federal tax dollars than they contribute.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once upon a time . . . before they bought in.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There was always a curious contradiction about Reconstruction. If secession was illegal and the acts declaring it were null and void, how come the states had to be readmitted to the Union?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And we see, the bunch that keeps screaming about how much they love their countree, want to tear it apart. Bottom line.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hawaii once was its own country, and they weren't bought in. They were annexed. Manifest Destiny baby!

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'm putting my money on South Carolina for this.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

A couple of years ago some religious group out west announced plans to move their followers to South Carolina to take over and lead to secession. It stalled when none of them could find jobs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.