1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can This Work?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and there always will be some wiseass boss there to tell you to work smarter, not harder.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Because at my daily, 16K newspaper I'm the reporter AND photographer!

3. Ack! I hate that idea. Video cameras are better off in the hands of photographers. They compose shots better, and it seems like it would be more up their alley. But I suppose in the YouTube age, no one cares if the video that's published actually looks good or not, as long as there's a face on it rambling about something.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is exactly how it was described to us. Our management wants our video to look like YouTube. What exactly that means, I don't know.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Again, why are we trying to be something we're not? Why can't we be good at what we actually are?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It means they don't want to allocate the resources to make it look good.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Somewhere, JDV just screamed and he doesn't know why.

8. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

i'll do it.

might make you more valuable employee, and making your web site a valuable video/audio/print hub for local sports is probably a good idea, too.

i say get on it before someone beats you to it.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Are you relatively new to this business?

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

this is not directed at you sosueme because you've spelled out your situation, and i understand. but there are others on here at different shops with different sizes. i'm addressing one of your questions in theoretically.

what we actually are is changing. for better or worse, i don't know. i'm not saying editors are right in handing out video recorders. i'm not saying everyone should go running to your boss asking for a video recorder. i'm not saying everyone should be thrilled. but this is happening.

this business has a history of asking more with fewer folks to do it. that's the unfortunate part here. if your place were to hire a full-time videographer and your hands were free from the process, you wouldn't care so much.

there are spots for folks like jd canon who wants to do a little bit of everything. there are folks like sosueme who just wants to write and take photos. some who just want to write. some who just want to edit, design, etc. if you do what you do well, there will be a place for you. if you can find a way to make it work, all the better for you and your shop.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't mind doing the video, I just don't understand why they want quantity over quality. I am also a little flustered over having something added on to my work load for football nights. It is crazy enough when you are in BFE trying to find somewhere to send your story from and now adding video work on top of it.
    I was just told, however, the head of advertising and our two IT guys will be going to games and helping video. So that is cool.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted