1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can this technology help deskers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spaceman, Nov 22, 2010.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40277960

I thought this story by Darren Rovell touched on an interesting piece of tech. Would this be the kind of thing that journalists could use on a desk to keep track of games outside your circulation areas?

"Thuuz is the brain child of venture capitalist Warren Packard, who sought to solve the problem of great game overload for today's sports fan.

So here's how it works. Sports fans log on to Thuuz.com and tell the company what leagues and teams they enjoy watching. When a game gets really good, fans will receive an e-mail or text telling them to turn on that game.

How does Thuuz objectively determine this information? Well, "Thuuz" is short for enthusiasm. The company has spent months developing algorithms for sports that automatically absorb the live play-by-play feeds to spit out an enthusiasm ranking of between 1-100."

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just what a copy desk needs ... those guys watch too much TV already! :D

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Absolutely would help. If the algorithym could pick out interesting games based on criteria like perfect games, or other strange happenings, it would be good nationally.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Does it work for high school games? Because we get in trouble if we use too much wire/national content in our section.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This is based on non-tech sports fans that are going to be bothered to check in ala Foursquare and Facebook when they watch a game. Great business idea.

If sports fans or the desk want to keep track of national games, they already have plenty of resources to do so.

I'd rather invest in WUPHF.com. (Fixed)

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Its WUPHF

7. MarkPhillip

MarkPhillip New Member

Hey folks, you should have a look at Are You Watching This?!. Instead of sending you a message after the game is over, we watch every game on TV and alert you in real-time when it's time to run to the couch. We'll even send you the channel number...

http://areyouwatchingthis.com

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Business model?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I revise ... It's WUHPF

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, why would anyone use that crazy Internet to follow the progress of games?

Draft saved Draft deleted