1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can This Person Run, Please?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Kick their ass, Liz.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/opinion/27edwards.html#

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So it was a lack of media coverage that doomed Joe Biden's candidacy? Sorry, Mrs. Edwards. I'm not buying what you're selling.

3. Not what she's saying at all, Doc.
    It's the not the media's function to winnow the field, especially not on the grounds of trivial bullshit. I suspect senator Obama would agree these days.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If that were the case, Messrs. Hart, Muskie, and Eagleton would love a mulligan too.

Not saying it's correct; nothing's changed in 40 years.

5. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hey if Joe Biden was the nominee, you might even see me voting Democrat this time around.
    Not that you guys need my vote anyways, right?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Look, the media shapes this shit, or their corporate handlers combined with political power players on the inside. I'm a Republican and I liked Biden. He was reasonably pro-defense..what's a huge joke is that this two-year marathon of an election process was supposed to give us the very best candidates. If this is the best then America is one fucked up political system.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fen, hasn't the media traditionally winnow the field for so long, it's basically ingrained in their collective minds to do it automatically?

I have for a long time felt that there is this collective rush by not only media, but voters as well that they don't want to spend soooo much time and patience, to make a decision, based on reason and information that is out there. Sadly, the world of 15 and 30 soundbites continues to keep "dumbing us" to a point where we'll just take the "flavor of the month" and run with it.

9. D3 - You and Elizabeth basically agree.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And we get the country we deserve with that.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A damn fine editorial. Edwards' identification and critique of journalists too often relying on storylines is particularly useful.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's it exactly. And for those who want to make this thread about Joe Biden, get a grip.

Draft saved Draft deleted