1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can this man save Detroit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by statrat, Oct 31, 2007.

1. statrat

statrat Member

Just finished reading a fascinating article from Fast Company via MSNBC.com's "Clicked" blog, about a high school dropout in Kansas who is figuring out ways to get some incredible gas mileage out of Hummers and old Lincolns and may be turning some heads in the American auto industry. Not only is it a fascinating story but it's also well written. I'm not a gearhead or a scientist, but it sucked me in.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

Regardless of whether or not any of his ideas actually come to fruition, it's an interesting story to say the least.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Forget saving Detroit, I'm for ANYTHING that saves me money.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's fascinating. Great article.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Seems like we've read this story a thousand times before -- uneducated underdog dares to take on big-bad Detroit with the projects they don't dare take on, with all sorts of pie-in-the-sky claims and projections.

It sounds like the guy has done some solid work, but a lot of that article is pure fantasy.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He'll be whacked out by the oil industry in record time.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

There probably are new methods that can save Detroit (and our environment in the process) but the corporate cronies in the auto and oil industries would rather continue on their path to destruction than think about ways to adapt for the future.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I remember a guy back in the late '70s or early '80s who came up with a way to get 80 or 100 miles per gallon. The media jumped on the story, and the public interest was significant.

And nothing ever came of it. Rumor was he got paid big bucks to quietly go away.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Killed-Electric-Martin-Sheen/dp/B000I5Y8FU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3241244-0974226?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193861019&sr=8-1

I have no doubt this fella's got some great ideas. Perhaps he should rent this before he gets his hopes up.

Draft saved Draft deleted