1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can they ban me from a press box?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They can. Hopefully your bosses have a bigger backbone than my former ones did.
    Long story short, I wrote a piece about football players tweeting they were playing a big time FBS school. Local AD wasn't pleased because after he had given me a no comment - then told me the OTR version - I contacted the FBS school for a comment. The story got picked up near the FBS school and next thing you know, the local school is blaming me for not getting the game. The SID at the school called and said "thought you'd like to know you cost us $500,000."
    I was fired three weeks later and about one week after I was let go, I heard from a friend of a TV guy that the school called my bosses and threatened to pull advertising if I wasn't fired.
    I'll always push for getting the story, but make sure your bosses have your back, especially if you need the job.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Previous posts of yours have established your previous bosses were not particularly fit as bosses.

That said, if a single person in the media in your neck of the woods knows that story or believes that story, and thinks it's cool not to press the school on it, shame on em.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm over it. None of the other media would touch a story like that because they are all in the school's pocket.
    Point is, be aware of stories like mine Spanky. I was in a position financially to not give a shit and chase stories as I saw fit. If you are, go for it. If you're in a position where losing your job would crush you, be 100 percent sure your bosses won't flake. I'd get it in writing.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, sure. It's kinda like saying: When the local HS coach blames you for his team losing the Big Game because one of his players popped off in the paper, make sure the boss doesn't fire you. If a boss is at the point where publishing facts are too uncomfortable, that's not a paper I'd work for. And I get it: Job market, etc. I'd rather scan groceries or haul garbage or telemarket than have some SID or AD try and frame me.

I'd be over it, too. Sounds like a parade of nincompoops for bosses.

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I don't believe this story.

As for the original poster, it could honestly depend on who you write for. If you're with the local daily or a reputable website, then you should be fine. But if you're a blogger or if you are with a small weekly, then you may need to do some research and see if this university has barred people before. College athletics is selective like that.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes

The reason why passes are given is to keep people out. Is it smart on their end? No.

But they can kick you out.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. Legally, they can deny access to anyone. I'm guessing it would be an extreme measure or they are VERY paranoid. But, hey, nobody likes bad stuff written about them.

I agree with the others here. Tell your editor/publisher and let them fight it out with the athletic director and/or university president. As a paper, you COULD go to the extreme of boycotting the school with a note "coverage of this week's game did not appear because the school denied us access." The more civil thing to do would probably be buy a ticket and sit in the stands and cover it that way.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Two years ago: USC coach Lane Kiffin tries to ban Scott Wolf of the L.A. Daily News.
    Today: Kiffin gone, Wolf still there.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/92690/

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is awfully fishy... What were the reasons given for your termination?

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's the best part of the story. Rhody was NEVER told why he was being let go. He asked, repeatedly, and was never given a reason, just told he was being let go and they wouldn't contest his unemployment.
    I can attest to the awfulness of the bosses at this chain being discussed and while I was no longer there when this happened, I believe the story 100 percent because the publisher at this particular paper would have had no problem firing a Pulitzer Prize winner if it meant saving a $50 ad from the mom and pop grocery store down the street. All she cares/cared about is making money. She has no editorial integrity whatsoever.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In addition to APSE, contact the Football Writers Association of America.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Let me say to spankys, I admire your willingness and determination. This is the part of the job I always hated, writing stories that I knew a certain portion of the readership was going to dislike because it reflected poorly on the beloved University. Hated that part, but it IS part of the job, so I admire your willingness and resolve to do it and deal with whatever fallout may come.

Draft saved Draft deleted