1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the WWE recover?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 27, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's easy for WWE to point the finger at us. If they blame the media, we defend ourselves instead of asking the questions and uncovering the truth.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't think anyone that the juice directly killed Benoit, and it's very unlikely he had a 48-hour 'roid-rage episode. But hopefully when the coroner does the autopsy on Chris' brain, it will reveal major damage and/or degeneration brought about by steroid & substance abuse. Plus, no one knows of Benoit's psychological background & history. Did this guy have a troubled mind beforehand?

That whole PR screams of "circling the wagons" & cover-up to me.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I think there is a slight difference here.

When Owen Hart died, it was ONE wrestler dying. Fair or not, I think a high-profile murder-suicide which results in the murder of a 7-year-old boy will probably resonate with a larger portion of society. This, in turn, could result in more attention and scrutiny. If there's enough public outcry, then maybe the politicians begin to see a few votes and push McMahon a littler harder...

But probably not...

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that'll be the most interesting story in the coming weeks and months. If the WWE seriously cracks down on steroid use and the employees deflate, does that hurt the bottom line and stock price?

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The news coverage helps pull the cover off the business, but it will come down to congress getting involved. There should be hearings on the industry and a total investigation. The wrestling business is ran like a mini mafia with those involved living by a different set of morals and standards than normal day to day people.

This might hurt them in the short term, but if you visit some wrestling Web sites, there are already hardcore WWE McMahon defenders spouting off about the negative reporting. McMahon has his apologists and they fill his arenas and buy his PPVs. These people will hang around no matter what.

Personally, I hope the whole wrestling business collapses. It's a despicable and heinous practice that should be left to die.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I talked to a couple people today who regularly work WWE events.
    Both aren't too high on the future of the company.
    Might be a good time for Vince to sell while he can.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, the situation here is much uglier, but other than that it's no different than devoted fans of a real sport or team blindly supporting the team and blaming the media for being too negative.

8. If a librarian goes nuts on his family, strangles his 7-year-old boy, kills his wife and then himself...do you blame the library?

This is so ridiculous...If steroids were the cause, HE injected the steroids. HE chose to go on the rigorous schedule. HE fucking did killed his family.

This is so stupid. Vince McMahon is a total asshole, but under no circumstances does he own anyone's mind or decisions. Yes, the McMahon fake death stunt was ludicrous, but what WWE plots in the last five years haven't been? I still remember Golddust trying to make out with guys in the ring. Equally weird.

These wrestlers are fucking idiots...

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Vince will never sell.

10. Inky_Wretch

If the working conditions at the library played a role in that scenario, you're damn right the library would catch some blame.

11. Maybe so...but in what, 30 years of main event wrestling, this is one of the few times a guy's gone nuts. Obviously, wrestlers have done bad shit before...but don't kill the shepherd because the sheep are going bad...

12. Inky_Wretch

If steroids played a role, then the WWE should be under scrunity. If concussions played a role, then the WWE should be under scrunity.

If neither of those things played a role, then nobody will be looking in the WWE's direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted