1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the poopy diapers at Kansas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

please buy a ticket?
    _____

Taking a baby to the KU game can cost; policies vary elsewhere
    Eds: Moving on general news and sports services.
    LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — When Kansas football fans Owen and Lisa Foust headed to the Jayhawks’ season opener last Saturday, they bundled up 3-month-old daughter Kate to go along.
    But when they presented their tickets at the gate, they were told they would need an additional $35 ticket for Kate.
    “I just thought it was pretty tacky,” Owen Foust said. “It’s just a grab for money.”
    Kansas actually began enforcing the babies-pay policy three or four years ago, said Kansas associate athletic director Jim Marchiony.
    “Everybody needs a ticket regardless of age,” Marchiony said. “The very small children come with backpacks and bottles and toys. ... We’ve received numerous complaints over the years from people who are sitting next to those people — enough for us to know that even those sized children need the space.”
    And, Marchiony said, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has recommended that organizations require tickets for everyone at large events as a way to keep track of numbers.
    The Fousts, both University of Kansas graduates, said they didn’t mind paying something for Kate to get into the game, but they didn’t think it should be a full-priced ticket.
    “This is supposed to be a family-friendly environment,” Owen Foust said. “I don’t think that policy promotes that (environment) much.”
    Kate — and any child under 3 — would be able to get in free for a Kansas City Chiefs game.
    “It’s a question of the actual seat,” said Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore. “If there’s no one sitting in the seat, then there’s no reason to sell the seat.”
    Moore said he believed most professional football teams have the same policy.
    Fans under 2 also can get in free to see the Missouri Tigers or Kansas State Wildcats play, and those under 1 don’t pay for tickets at Iowa State.
    “We just felt like a 1-year-old doesn’t take up that much room,” said Matt Johnson, director of ticket operations at Iowa State. “We get calls all the time saying: ’Thanks for not making our 2-month-old pay.”’
    But Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas all charge for babies who are brought to games.
    “Our stadium is sold out on a season-ticket basis with a long waiting list,” said Keith Mann, spokesman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “Everyone has to have a ticket.”
    Making exceptions for babies “leads to too much decision-making at the gate,” said Kenny Mossman, athletic department spokesman at Oklahoma.
    Texas women’s athletic director Christine Plonsky argues that safety is an issue.
    “The ruler here of stadium and game management is our fire marshal,” she said.
    The Fousts say the policy won’t dampen their Kansas spirit.
    “Kate will probably go to some games,” Owen Foust said. “And we certainly want Kate to be a KU graduate someday.”
    ———
    Information from: Lawrence Journal-World, http://www.ljworld.com

Ack!

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Buy a ticket or get a babysitter. You haven't lived until you spend a whole game with a 2-year-old behind you sitting on Mommy's lap, planting his feet in the small of your back every 20 seconds for three hours. We also don't want to hear your brats whine for three hours, either.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, I've got to agree with Star on this one...
    Now, if we could only find a way to charge admission to the mall or other public gatherings (Ann ARbor Art Fairs comes to mind) as incentive for leaving the kids at home...

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who the fuck brings a two-year-old to a college or NFL football game?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

This story is about a three-month old infant. She should not have needed a ticket.

This actually happened to me and my family at a Kansas game in 2003 when my daughter was 9 months. Didn't figure she needed a ticket, but when we get to the gate, we were told she did. My dad got pissed and ranted so much that they let her in for free that one time. I mean, full price for an infant? Cripes, charge those 2 and under like $10 if it's really, really necessary. And since the Chiefs don't bother charging infants, KU, Nebraska, Texas, etc., shouldn't either.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I understand the fire marshall thing and the needing an accurate head count thing, but I'm with King on this one: a nominal fee is enough.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, KU isn't the Chiefs. KU is simply going by what its peers do, they could care less about the Chiefs, who will always sell out. The Jayhawks can't say the same. They're going to grab for money any way they can.

Not saying it's right, but I see where they're coming from.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

AMEN.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

K-State sells out most of their games, and Missouri and Iowa State probably get similar if not bigger crowds than KU, yet they don't charge for infants. Sure, I see the $$$ too, but cripes, charging $35 for an infant??

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, at Mizzou games, they probably use the diaper bag to sneak in the flask.

11. I agree with Starman.

Leave the damned kids at home. I didn't pay my $35 to get kicked in the back or have someone else's baby possessions spilling onto my lap. I've had crap like this happen too many times on the airlines.

And if you require that extra space, why shouldn't it be $35 for the seat? It's a seat they cannot sell to another full-paying customer.

Draft saved Draft deleted