1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the phone company do math???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Jan 25, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No one in their call center can compute basic middle school multiplication, and this guy was being confusing?

How else should he have said it?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Not confusing or condescending.
    But I agree that Verizon should send the check back.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I had a math teacher that would give us extra credit if we could get something that was mistakenly marked for .99 cents for a penny. Convinced a few managers of their faux pas and got it.

it's a pet peeve to this day to see anything marked .xx cents.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Back in the days when Verizon was still Bell Atlantic, I moved thought I had paid my bill in full and was done with everything. Low and behold, Bell Atlantic spends 29, 32 cents (whatever postage was at the time) to mail me a refund of one cent.
    It gets better. My bank's nearest branch happened to be located across town. So I go into the nearest bank to cash it (just for laughs). Bank refuses to cash it beacuse I don't have an account there.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll have to remember that .99 cents

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I may have brought this point up in the gas thread, but whatever </youknowwho>.

If we go to the Wal-Mart to buy a bag of charcoal priced at 3.99, we say "okay, this is four bucks."

If we go to the Shell and gas up at 2.259, we say "okay, this is 2.25 a gallon. Fucking Bush."

Why do we round up for one cent under a dollar, but round down for one-tenth a cent under a penny?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I thought the caller was extremely patient. I liked this bit ...

M: Well, let me take a look here for ya.

[time passes...]

M: [looking up rates] We're.. we're in Canada..

[time passes...]

M: Hold on one second for me..

[time passes...]

M: [mumbles something about Canada]

[time passes...]

I think what he mumbled was actually "O Canada". :)

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

It's incredibly distressing that he couldn't get these nimrods to understand what he was talking about. To acknowledge the difference between 2 dollars and 2 cents, yet not see the difference betwee .002 cents and .002 dollars is insane. What is wrong with this country?

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Have we heard of any resolution to George's problem.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sarcastic answer: George Bush diverting funds from education to fight the war in the Iraq
    Serious answer: Society has become dumber since Bush was elected as many factors outside of his control have led to shorter attention spans and less thinking

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Thus a moronic answer, although written as a joke once again blaming our president for any situation that is f'd up in the world no matter the size or circumstance of the problem.

You know if I were Bill Belichick I would call the White House and bitch out that idiot for costing the Patriots a win over the Colts in the AFC title game. And dammit if he was too slow to respond in helping New Orleans overcome the Chicago Bears.

Draft saved Draft deleted