1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can The Newspaper Industry Really Be THIS Stupid About Google News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, May 7, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Business Insider weighs in on newspapers bitching about Google News:

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Google refers more readers to our site each day than all the other search engines, social networking sites and links combined.

No arguments from me. Although, I'm sure the same goes for all papers. Google sends people to all places — so its not like anyone has an advantage.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

How much money is your paper, or any, making from someone clicking over from Google News? And, knowing my own habits, just because I read a story linked on Google (or elsewhere) doesn't mean I'm going to your site. Where I'm not spending money anyway. Because your stuff that I would have to pay for in the bricks and mortar world is for free all over the Interwebs.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

These same papers that are complaining about Google News probably have RSS feeds on their site too, further proving that they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well said. That's the issue here. Yeah, people are flocking your paper's Web site for the news, but they do so with no financial gain to the newspaper because there's no purchase being made and because there's no promise of a "brand loyalty" that will keep people coming back.

You're not getting the same person reading the site 1,000 times. You're getting 1,000 people reading the site once.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

And that and 50 cents will get you a vending machine cup of coffee.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Google news isn't the problem, it's giving content away for free. For stories on Google News behind a pay wall, it says subscription required.

Don't blame Google for the woes of online news.

8. Under what scenario does our current path lead to anything but death? Does Google news lead so many people to our Dimpimple County School Board story that the $.005 we make per page view on the ad can fund it?

How about the Eastern-Western football game? Google news going to draw tons of people in on that?

We have a product people want. They currently do not have to pay a dime for that product. When they return to paying a dime for it, we will resume making money. Ads may never come back the way they were in 1975; they're going away now because so are the readers. And the readers are leaving because why pay a dime for something that's online for free?

Maybe an industry leader making a bold move that works will encourage everyone to follow suit in the next few years.

In 10 years you may be reading your local newspaper on your Kindle, but you're going to have to pay for at least some of it. Web advertising has proven insufficient no matter how many people Google news sends to the website. All the RSS feeds and and link-throughs are awesome ... if the consumer is paying. Otherwise it's just a more convenient way for us to give away our product for next to nothing. And then, death.

And then we're depending on unpaid citizen journalism (or citizen journalism that, gasp, charges a subscription fee) and PR to provide information on city council meetings and school board proposals.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I grow more and more convinced every day that happy, shiny, friendly, oh-so-useful Google is a Science Fiction-esq evil entity bent on control of every aspect of our online lives, in a monopoloy more vast and crushing than anything Bill Gates or John D. Rockefeller ever dreamed of.

But that mostly applies to general online activity, not so much newspapers. I agree the general online news dilemma predates them, and they're just taking advantage of the situation.

10. How about this:

$15 a month will get you home delivery if you want it, unlimited web access.
    A la carte, you can pay $3 a month for sports, $3 a month for business, $1 a month for school boards, $2 a month for city council, &tc.
    And for the linkthroughs, you pay $.25 per story. Some smart person invents a paypal style system where you subscribe.

I live on the east coast but I love the Dodgers (hypothetically) ... AP does a good enough job with gamers, but I prefer local coverage. I go to L.A. Times website and can pay $3 a month to read all the Dodgers' game stories, notebooks, features, whatever. Or I can click the "Read it now" button and my PayPal-ish account is charged a quarter.

Yes, this means we ALL need to produce a superior web product. But if we don't have confidence in ourselves to put out something worth paying for, what the

fuck

are we even doing here?

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

By the looks of its contacts page, The Business Insider and its siblings have a combined staff of 10, including one (1) advertising salesperson. I would think if all that traffic were doing them much good, they would need more of a sales staff to handle the vast demand.

The guy who runs the sites, Henry Blodget, got into a bit of trouble over securities fraud:

http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2004/11/24/the-rehabilitation-of-henry-blodget.aspx

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Frank,
    If you would have found that through Google News, that would have been bitchin'.
    It was bitchin' nonetheless, but more bitchin'ner.

Draft saved Draft deleted