1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Heat win a title? Where do they go from here?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great points. Its often forgotten that Jordan wasn't considered an elite outside shooter until a few years into his NBA career.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The cap-space problems of the Heat (and all other teams) will probably be greatly eased after the lockout, because one of the things the owners really want is the elimination of guaranteed contracts -- they'll be able to cut whoever they want any time they want to get however much cap space they need.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Very well stated.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think that happens unless the owners decide they're just going to nuke the league for an entire year, or maybe more.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The fact that there are people like Whitlock who are saying "blow it up" about a team that was two wins from an NBA title tells u everything u need to know about how far some off the deep end some people will go to remain relevant

7. Starman

Unconditional victory. It's the billionaires' battle plan.

Plus, they won't have to nuke for a full year -- of all the professional athletes living one monthly check away from bankruptcy, the NBA players lead the pack. By All-Star break time the players will fold on 98% of the issues. The only question will be whether the owners want to go for 120%.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

True, I definitely think a lot of players live paycheck to paycheck, but probably not enough to force the union via a vote to take a really lopsided contract initially. I think the owners would basically have to keep them from a paycheck for a full year to get everything they want, a la what the NHL did. (Not sure what happened with the MLB strike completely, since I was in my early teens at the time.)

9. Starman

Well, if they shut it down for a full year, then they can reopen totally under rules THEY dictate.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would bet that well over 50 percent of NBA players will be up against it if they miss a month of paychecks. Look at Dez Bryant -- he already is playing next year (if there is a next year) solely to pay off his jeweler. The NBA is filled with guys like that. Antoine Walker made $108M in a career that lasted until 2009, and he is already broke.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What u said is exactly why owners usually win these things or at least get the better of the deal - many players live paycheck to paycheck and thus they are more likely to break ranks.

People made fun of patrick ewing for his idiotic "we make a lot of money but we spend a lot of money" remarks during the first lockout but there was a lot of truth in that statement.

The players will always run out of money first

Draft saved Draft deleted