1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Heat win a title? Where do they go from here?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I figure a lot of media were saying the lakers need to blow it up (and maybe they do), but it's worth considering.

Are they?

Let's say next season is canceled. Unlikely, but let's say it is.

Then the next time Miami has a chance to play for a title, Wade is 31 years old, having taken a pounding his entire career. Does LeBron add anything to his two main offensive moves of "Bull to the basket!" and "Dribble around, then jack up shit with the clock winding down"?

Can OKC get that much better? Can the Lakers come back? If the Bulls get a goos shooting guard, are they world beaters?

Is the NBA more fun to watch with a clear "villain"?

Will there be a hard cap? Has anyone ever seen David Stern and Myles Brand in the same room together?

Why are we here?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have a nomination of most idiotic thread of the year

3. Piotr Rasputin

But zag . . . you're the one who said they will only get better.

How so? Or are you just looking to stir the shit, as usual?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The simple fix is down the hall in the bigger office.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Heat should trade LeBron to Cleveland for those two top picks. Bring in some younger, hungrier players with upside.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

They will get better because they are still young and this was their first year playing together and this experience is another step in the journey.

Terry and Dirk have played together for a lot of years without winning.

The big three will get better by playing together more.

And I think the coach will get better as well

7. Piotr Rasputin

Either by replacement or experience, the coach will get better.

I have to think they need to get deeper. Wade can't play a lot of minutes forever.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd love to think the Heat will be a failure, but long term, they really should get a title out of this... and probably more than one.

It's going to be a very attractive spot for free agents. No, they can't afford guys like Chris Paul, but that's not what they need. The Heat needs better role players, and they should be able to get them.

The Heat will probably be the team to beat for a few years.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, let's hope not

10. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Depends on how well Wade and James age. I especially think James will age poorly and quickly. That's a big frame that's been going through NBA seasons for 7 years already.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It seems to me that, more than better role players or whatever, the biggest thing the Heat need is to figure out how to run the offense with two guys on the court who need the ball in their hands. Right now, LeBron and Wade don't compliment each other on the court. They need to figure out how to change that.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

a big frame? so if he was built like Tayshaun Prince he'd be less likely to break down? maybe i'm missing something but it would seem that LeBron just needs to have his mental game (decision making, playing with Miami, etc.) catch up to his physical game. not sure where i see him breaking down or slowing down physically.

Draft saved Draft deleted