1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the English language survive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Medial Collateral, May 22, 2008.

1. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I've often described my wife's spelling in this manner. What does that say about me?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Its not that big of a deal. :D

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was a teaching assistant in grad school for a few semesters, and some of the stuff I saw was atrocious.

I'd have to spend whole discussions on basic writing.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

i hv a gd idea y tht hppns.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

dude, i saw that too.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

aT lEaSt We HaVe GoTtEn PaSt ThIs TyPe Of SpElLiNg TeChNiQuE, i ThInK

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a good point, MM. I do believe that's gone, outside of legitimate ransom notes. Perhaps there's hope.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea what that typing is. I've never seen anything remotely similar. Was that used at some point somewhere?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That was the cool way for jerkoffs to type posts and IMs once upon a time. It begat l33tsp33k, which begat the lolcat.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. And post-graduate. I graded law school exams and couldn't believe the horrible writing.

And the fact Wikipedia was cited as gospel truth.

People are lazy and don't care. It will only get worse.

I can remember an Ann Landers or Dear Abby column from way, way back. Someone wrote in complaining of the use of "it's/its" (my pet peeve) in writing and the downhill direction of English. The response was basically, "Oh, well, you know what they mean. Who cares?"

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

werd 2 yo mutha

12. fremont

fremont Member

Oh my God, what the fuck? Barbecue.

Just retrofit the lolz-speak with proper spelling and pronunciation and the future of our language will be safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted