1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the English language survive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Medial Collateral, May 22, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

hoops mccann just punched a wall, and he doesn't know why.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In college, I had a professor, who taught a lot of online courses, in part, because she's deaf. I always thought it was a bit weird when she wrote to me in all caps. That and I still think she's a jerk for it.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

You should have figured out where she lived, gone there, snuck in because she couldn't have heard you, and then given her the upper decker. And then you could have gone to class before she got there the next day and written "POOP" on the chalkboard. Ninja style.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And Tom Petty.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Here's a thread-jack, because it's tangentially related, and I'm too lazy to start a thread:
    Saw "Iron Man" last night. In a montage of giant newspaper headlines, designed to provide backstory, Tony Stark is described as "Taking the Reigns" of his father's company.
    Yikes.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've long felt there would be a market for someone with a newspaper background to make fake front pages for movies/TV. Stuff like what you mention happens all the time.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Is there any right side of the 8 ball? Whether you're in front or behind it, no matter where you stand, you're getting hit by a ball. (if I ever start a gay bar, I'm calling dibs on that as the motto)

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wouldn't be quite so concerned about this if it was apparent that today's teen-ager CAN write in proper English. And I've seen no such assurance.

They write like they text. And if you try to call them on it, they laugh at the old people. So, do I think it's going to get better? No, I think it's going to get worse.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But are we looking at it from a biased perspective? Most of us, by nature of our profession, are very good writers. Even the worst of us is better than 80 percent of them, as well you'd expect. So we have higher standards for good writing than in middle America.

That's why I could never be an English teacher; everyone would get a D or F because I wouldn't know how to translate good or bad as it related to a high school junior not in the business.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe biased, but I think I'm sticking by it. I've seen too many instances of absolutely embarrassing spelling by 17-year-olds, and I've seen too much absolute disregard for the English language on message boards. (P.S. Frankly, I'm glad we hold people's feet to the fire on that on THIS board.)

12. Marsellus Wallace

Marsellus Wallace New Member

I'd have a field day with a teacher who gave me a D for using the correct form of it's and its.

Draft saved Draft deleted