1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the English language survive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Medial Collateral, May 22, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

SRSLY?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As long as there are hiring managers who frown upon using text messaging slang in a formal setting, there will ALWAYS be room for learning precise, grammatically correct English.

KTHNKSNBAI.

3. captzulu

captzulu Member

I recently read a Pew report that says most teens consider good writing skills to be important, but that they don't consider their e-mails, IMs and text messages to be "formal" writing. It seems that there is a mental distinction between when slangs are acceptable and when they are not. However, about 30-some percent said they sometimes use shortcuts like LOL and emoticons in school assignments.

So no, I don't think good English is going the way of the dodo, because I don't see the day when people will start writing formal reports and such in SMS style. But I do think it's easier for those habits to slip from day-to-day communication into formal writing, which means we need stronger emphasis in school on writing ... and more copy editors.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tough. Times like these, we've got to do more with less fewer.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The sky is falling!

Medial, you are approaching this as if the English language has always been this static thing that is suddenly changing. That is not even close to the truth. Read some Shakespeare if you don't believe that. Better yet, try reading Old English.

Languages evolve and change over time. They are more stable now than they used to be, in large part due to changes in technology. There was a time we could not listen to how our language was spoken 50 years in the past, so it was much easier for the pronunciations of certain words to change. But that does not mean the English language will ever remain static.

I am certain that a scholar from Shakespeare's time would wonder what the hell we have done to the language, too. Good writing will survive. In time it may look a little different than it does now, but it will still exist.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Over the years, the English language had devolved into a combination of Valley Girl, Hillbilly and various inner city crunks. Joe understood them, but when he talked, he sounded pompous and faggy.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Water? Like from the toilet?

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

WTF?

ROFLAL!!!

U B COOL, THO.

WB, KITA......and TYVM!!!

[burp]

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And 90 percent of their teachers put big red circles around them and dock points.

I'm one of the 90 percent :). And I don't teach English.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

IDK MY BFF JILL

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Others have pointed it out, so I hate to pile on, but it's incredibly ironic that you misspelled two words in that post in addition to screwing up "it's".

12. Babs

Babs Member

When email first became popular, it was the "cool" thing to do to type in all lower case (or even worse, upper). Thankfully, that fell out of favor. A few of the things you speak of now will fall out of favor too.

Proper grammar and punctuation developed because they are useful for precise thinking. That need won't go away. I think we'll be OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted