1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Americans beat Kobayashi?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Zeek, Jul 4, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I think it was the making himself bigger than the games he was working by offering his JIMMY DYKES SALUTE pissed off the suits in Bristol.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Curious if any print sports guys covered this... anyone know of any?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I almost did while watching. Cripes, I thought holding five Krispy Kremes in abour 3:15 was bad enough (it won me the contest ... no one else could do that in five minutes). :-X

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

2 1/2 thickburgers in five minutes won me a contest once.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just when I thought downing doughnuts was bad. Did you get Lipitor or an angioplasty as a prize? :D

For me, since I was off the day after this took place, a couple extra bike sessions were in order.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Nope, just a handshake, some cash and prizes, and bad health.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

In case you're not already disgusted enough, check out www.ifoce.com. It's the website of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.

At the very least, check out their crest... priceless.

[​IMG]

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My fun with the quote function was referring to Paul Page, who is most assuredly not deserving of this pathetic assignment. Who was the guy who ruined IRL broadcasts last year? Put that guy on the competitive-eating beat.

ESPN is a fucking joke. That's all I have at 6 p.m. on the east coast.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, I think David Whitley covered this event for Orlando a few years back.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread exemplifies much of what I love about this place, including the posts by people I know and have much fondness for.

For the record, I ate five yesterday. Took me 45 minutes.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

AMEN, JM. Actually, there is no comparison. None. Hebrew National's are so far superior that discussing this issue is a moot point to anyone with taste.

I've been in two eating contests: one when I was a CIT at a summer camp. Ate 16 tacos ... and finished third. The winner ate 21, the runner-up 19.

The second was when I was at my first full-time paper. For charity, our paper entered a rib-eating contest at the local Tony Roma's where five of us lined up for five minutes and plowed through ribs as fast as they plopped them down.

Since in my younger days, I had the metabolism of a rabbit with A.D.D., I was a natural for this. In fact, the editor that picked our team pretty much ordered me to compete.

I ate 27 ribs in five minutes and wanted to yak. Our team put away a combined 106 and we finished like 11th out of 15 teams.

It was five years before I could eat ribs again.

Draft saved Draft deleted