1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can terrorists stoop any lower?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 1, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. That doesn't help now. We can't get out of this mess by going back and not invading. I prefer to talk about things we can influence, not things we can't.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And some people wonder why we need to torture prisoners.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Absolutely. Because stooping to their level proves that we're better than they are.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

So since she blew herself up, will there be 72 Mike311gd's waiting for her in Heaven?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Let's be honest about this. When it reaches this point, it not longer is any more about Islam than the Westboro protests or the KKK crosses are about Christianity.
    You can dress up hate however you like, but it's just hate.

6. Smallpotatoes

Sorry, I forgot how to use the sarcasm font (actually, I don't even know how to use it). In case anyone is confused, that was sarcasm.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Forget the retarded women for a moment. These asshats blew up a pet market. That means they not only killed innocent people, they killed puppies too.
    Surely, even the most cynical among us can agree that they should rot in hell for that, right?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I feel you.

But guess what the lesser lights in our country are going to make it about? For evidence, read several bigoted posts on this thread. There's plenty of people who are going to make it about Islam when it's a bastardization of the religion.

9. Smallpotatoes

You know Michael Savage's Web site is going to have a field day with this, to the point where all his shaved-head fans will just run right out into the street and beat up the first Arabic-looking person they see.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It appears to me the biggest reason that sectarian violence is down in Iraq is that the ethnic cleansing is virtually complete. Almost all the Sunnis have been chased from the Shia areas, and vice versa, therefore fewer clashes.

It also appears to me that the insurgents can re-escalate violence at a time and place of their choosing. For instance, Al-Sadr can snap his fingers and the bloodbath would begin anew. And the U.S. casualty count ticked up in January for the first time in four months.

As has been mentioned, Al-Qaeda is a minor player in the bigger picture. But any small measure of success in Iraq is going to be trumpeted by this administration. Never mind that the political situation in the country is still a Charlie Foxtrot.

The surge certainly has helped, but time is running out on our ability to sustain this level of force.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, name one time when "shaved-head [Savage] fans" ran out into the street and started beating up people who looked Arab. I haven't seen anything like that in the papers. I don't doubt there hasn't been sporadic instances of hate crimes or vandalism against Muslim Americans, but I would bet my paycheck whatever has occurred doesn't come close to being in the same universe as a garden-variety suicide bombing.

Second, some of you people who complain others paint all Muslims with the terrorist brush don't have a problem with painting all Christians with the Timothy McVeigh-Eric Roberts-Westboro Church brush.

Hypocrites.

12. We have absolutely no idea how many Iraqis we've killed in this war, and this administration isn't really interested in finding out.
    hondo -- you "paint all Muslims with the terrorist brush" all the damn time, in every post on the subject. It's hardly comparable.

Draft saved Draft deleted