1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone set the record straight on unemployment (CA) and freelancing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by London Calling, Apr 6, 2009.

1. First off, I apologize for bringing this topic up in this forum because it's fucking depressing, but I couldn't find my answer on California's unemployment Web site and can't find my original pamphlet.

Anyone know the percentage that is deducted from your weekly benefit when you freelance, and what happens to the money they take from you?

For instance, guy gets $325 a week from unemployment and makes $150 one week from a couple freelance gigs. What is his benefit amount that week? And what happens to the money -- the scraps you put time and effort to earn on the side -- they take from your $150? Do you get that back?

Remember, I'm asking specifically for California. If you got a straightforward explanation or have a link that will direct me there, I would much appreciate it.

Again, my apologies for bringing this shit up.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

can't help with your california situation but you shouldn't feel the need to apologize for your question in such crappy economic times. best of luck.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I am not 100% on this, but I think this is how it works.

If you get $350 per week, and you report you made $150, you get the $200 left over. That extra $150 doesn't go anywhere, just back into your pot of money owed to you.

So basically, you are owed $5,000 over 6 months, and you keep getting paid that money until the $5,000 is exhausted.

Or just call the EDD, they can answer your question better then me.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Whatever amount of money you earn on your own each week is simply not deducted from your total pot of funds available.

In other words, you don't get it back and it doesn't go anywhere. It just makes your pot of money last a little longer (which, you'll find, the longer you are unemployed, is a good thing).

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

There should be a figure on your checks that tells you how much is in your unemployment fund. It's different for everyone. If you received the max every week, your funds would be used up in six months. You can file for an extension after six months, and I have yet to hear of anyone who needs it who has been refused.
    However, like WT wrote, if you make any money in a part-time or freelance job, EDD uses a formula to determine how much is not getting taken out of your unemployment fund. Makes it last a little longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted