1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain to me the nature of 'On Background'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, May 30, 2008.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Beware of folks trying to get you to make their points for them. Here's our position, they'll say, but don't quote me on it. Hey, if your position is that strong, let me get that on the record. Otherwise, it's no comment.

There might be some extentuating circumstances--for instance, potential litigation where any comment might be used by an opposing lawyer. But I'd be wary of too much background, lest you be seen as taking someone's side.

This is the kind of stuff that makes Washington coverage so problematic -- everyone seems to trade on-the-record sourcing for access, and the reader loses.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I understand this point, and you're completely right, in theory, but I cover an NFL team where nobody ever WANTS to say jack shit about anything, on or off the record. Getting something on background is a major coup.
    And the team intimidates agents into not saying anything on behalf of their clients. I try to make sure I'm not serving one side's agenda without giving the other side a fair chance to make its points. That's absolutely the best I can do. If somebody actually was willing to be quoted by name, I think my backup would have to write the story, because I would have fallen over dead from shock.

Draft saved Draft deleted