1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain to me the idea of layoffs based on seniority?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

I hate those headphones in newsrooms.

You can't even pick a good fight anymore.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a copout. It allows management to say, "Nothing personal, but you were the last hired."

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What I always thought -- and I could definitely be wrong -- is that they believe it would be easier for a younger employee to find another job than a 50+.

Not too many 50+ hirings going on out there.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Actually, management would love to get rid of the oldest hire. The oldest hire is likely making the most money and has accumulated the most leave. This prevents that. It's far from perfect but I like it better than the randomness that is quality of work.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd reclassify that from "working theory" to "bullshit they tell themselves to justify what they want to do."

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Age discrimination plays a factor too... It's almost never the oldest person who is let go, at least not if they're over 50, or maybe 55.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I understand the pros and cons of unions protecting senior employees. But from a macro point of view I support it. Everytime I see someone over 55 lose a job in any industry I wonder if they will ever work anywhere better than Home Depot.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's my point, too. You see a 50+ lose a job, and all I can think is, "paper or plastic?"

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

Considering the young 'n cheap mentality of hirings, it's pretty obvious. Even a certain paper in my state capital that returned my resume and clips unopened 20 years ago because it had my dorm address on it, has been going that route.

Draft saved Draft deleted