1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone decipher this release for me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Jul 17, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Apparently this gentleman broke a shooting record but that's all I can figure after reading and re-reading this release sent to me last week ... can someone with more knowledge of the sport of rifle enlighten me so I can put a few paragraphs in my paper that make sense to the average reader ... thanks ...

Sam Hall has been the man to beat at 600 Yards this season. It looks like he nailed yet another IBS record with that hot-shooting 6BR of his. On June 14, Sam fired a 0.913″ five-shot group with his 28-lb 6BR Heavy Gun. The group was fully centered up, scoring a 50-5X on the new, smaller 600-yard target. Sam told us: “I believe this group is the smallest 50 ever shot in competition — with 5Xs to boot.” The previous record, we believe, was a 50 (1.174″) by Terry Brady.

Sam tells us: “This was the first group of the morning. Conditions were good …. I put 11 MOA elevation into my new March 50X scope (mounted just the day before) and almost hit the 2 1/4 inch skeet sighter on the first shot. On my last two shots on the skeet, I could see my shots hit dead center, so I knew I was on.

During record fire, I relaxed, took my time, because conditions were not changing, and let the rifle do what it was capable of. (I feel this rifle can hold 1.5″ at 600 pretty consistently, in windless conditions.) At the end of the 5 shots, my spotter, Brian Moore, and myself could see a little cluster in the middle of the bull. When that target was posted, man was I one happy fellow!”

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Translation:
    Send this guy after bin Laden.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Send the text through ereporter.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chicks dig the long ball.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

My guess is that he hit the bullseye with five shots, and that the spread off the shots was .913 inches.

Man, that guy is tits at shooting.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It would have been easier to understand if it had been written in Inuktitut

7. lono

lono Active Member

Randy: Can I get you something?

Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Jive Lady: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.

Randy: Oh, good.

Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?

Jive Lady: Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.

Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!

Jive Lady: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

8. concernedjournalist

concernedjournalist New Member

Surely, you can't be serious.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Allow me to translate.

Sam Hall can sign his initials in your chest cavity using bullets if he so chooses. Run his brief verbatum and back away slowly.

10. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

OK, Sam Hall punches holes in paper better than most. Only BR shooter could translate this. I'll give it my best shot:

Topwit: 6BR would be the size of the bore (6mm or slightly larger than the .22 or .223) and the shooting position (bench rest, basically a bench with sand bags)

He was shooting at a distance of 600 yards at a 600-yard target (yes, they have different targets for different ranges)

The weapon used (Heavy Gun) is custom-made and comes in at 28 pounds. (The heavier the barrel, the heavier the weapon — doh — and you want the heaviest barrel possible to avoid miniscule torquing caused by heat)

Accuracy is judged by the size of your cluster. Mr. Hall put five shots inside a ring that was .91 inches in diameter. That from 600 yards.

That should be sufficient.

These are guys who had load their ammo and use special lubricant to decrease friction between the bullet and the rifling of the barrel. They spend more on their rifle than most of us do on our car.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Unless you're publishing Shooting Quarterly, you probably have no readers who understand this. So put it in the trash.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

How tall is he?

Draft saved Draft deleted