1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone concisely explain Parade magazine to me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Walter Scott's Personality Charade?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is the first time I've known that they aren't the same guy.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You all fail to see the brilliance of "In Step With..."

He always picked that actress who was just fringe enough and/or had only recently slipped out of our minds entirely.

C'mon... how many times did you go, "Oh yeah. Her. What the is she doing?"

A perfect example would be one of the actresses on House. You can't name her, and you can barely name the character she plays. That has "In Step With..." written all over it.

Wasn't it funny, though, when an actor instead of an actress would be profiled every 212th time?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy was in on the birth of Page Six at the NYP.
    Knew fashion, wrote novels, wrote many (aforementioned) books about his Korean War experiences,
    wrote a very readable column in Ad Age for decades . . . renaissance man.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So you're saying James Brady was nailing these bimbos in exchange for a brief reminder that they were once important, and a coveted spot on the last page of Parade Magazine?
    Niiiiicccceee.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Our publisher told a story once about Parade's All-American team. We're a small daily, and one year a kid in Major Metro's town (a Gannett paper) made the Parade team. Since we were the closest Parade affiliate, the publisher got the plaque or trophy or whatever the hell they give out, and drove 50 miles over there for an assembly to present it to the kid.
    He said everyone at the school looked at him like he was from Mars. They had no idea what Parade was. He said he felt like an idiot.
    A few years later, another kid from the same city made it. I think the plaque is still sitting in a box in the publisher's office.

7. Now that IJAG brought it up, what is Hal Holbrook up to nowadays?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It was Al Michaels today and I learned he played first base in high school and is a lefty, but writes with his right hand.
    My life is now complete.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

As is Brady's.

(wha, too soon?)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't help it and RIP and all that, but the James Brady stuff is making me laugh. I was always amazed, from like age eight onward, that every profile this guy ever wrote was inevitably about him.

And I thought for the longest time that he was the same guy as the Reagan aide who was nearly killed in the assassination attempt. Shoulda merged the two. Can you imagine profiles as written by that James Brady?

Jessica Alba was wearing a pleated pant suit and small golden earrings when we met for lunch at an outdoor cafe in Los Angeles. "Do you believe Americans should own guns?" I asked.

"Yes," she said.

"I hated Dark Angel," I said and left.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fixed [/goingtohell]

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Holy hell, that's funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted