1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone concisely explain Parade magazine to me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This.

Seriously, I understand wanting to send her logic puzzles or obscure art questions or something, but why does her 182 IQ make her blatherings about philosophy or, God help us, dating, more relevant? People like things quantified, so high IQ = she do good think stuff.

Parade > USA Weekend

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's been a while since I've read her feature, but there was always at least one question that looked like it got lost on the way to Annie's Mailbox.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

Our small daily has Parade magazine as an insert every Sunday....when I think of Parade, I think always first of its prep All-American teams. other than that, I don't peruse much of it and have sure never taken to figuring out what in the hell Marilyn Vos Savant is talking about or trying to get across in her column. maybe she's a fucking genius, but I'd be curious if she would be smart enough to use an umbrella when it is pouring down rain. or maybe I am just a dumb sportswriter whose IQ is below the Mendoza line and can't decipher what she is offering.
    oh, some of the cartoons aren't bad, either. :)

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

USA Weekend used to be Family Weekly before Gannett bought it in the 1980s and renamed it. It was always the crappier of the two. The pecking order used to be:

1.) Newspaper's own Sunday mag (most metros had one)

2.) Parade

3.) Family Weekly

4.) Nothing

Papers that had Family Weekly usually did so because a competitor had market exclusivity for Parade.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Howard Huge. End of thread.

Except for this: Once, when I was working at The Nation's Nicepaper, I called the dude who did the Parade All-American football team and was singularly unimpressed. He may have felt the same way about me, of course, I dunno.

I cannot recall if it was Michael O'Shea, who has been overseeing the program since 1985, as it says at their (hard-to-navigate) Web site. Maybe it was, maybe not.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

American Profile fits into that spectrum someplace.
    Having not seen USA Weekend in forever, it may or may not be better than that.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I always loved his profiles.
    "I met Jessica Alba over lunch. She ordered ice tea and I had a Tab and chocolate chip cookie. I told her my sister's niece is named Jessica and we laughed."

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"She had a delightful laugh, robust but not overpowering. Like the spices in the lasagna I had one time when visiting Italy."

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

"Can someone concisely explain Parade magazine to me?"

One word: Lame

Personally, my favorite is always the "10 Worst Dictators of the Year" issue, in which they try to explain, say, Charles Taylor and the entire history of Liberia in 200 words. And they rank them. "Look what Taylor did last year to pull ahead of Kim Jong Il!"
    I do always read the "how much people make" issue, though. That is kind of fascinating.

10. Brady's books on the Korean War are worth reading, BTW.
    I miss Walter Scott, who didn't write Ivanhoe, BTW.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I respect her mental capacity for deduction and reason. So much so that I recently bought her decade-old book, "The Power of Logical Thinking," and was fascinated for, oh, about 100 pages -- right up until the point where the book became less about logical thought and more about promulgating her political theory. Frankly, it read like something Judge Smails would write -- "The world needs ditch-diggers, too."

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This seems like another good place to post this. Spend a few hours in these archives when you have some down time.

http://www.theonion.com/content/topics/Sunday_Magazine

Draft saved Draft deleted